Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011 - scripts invited Page 26

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 27 2011, 3:15 PM BST

Dan: Can you post your results? Or will that be a breach of clause 3.2 of the oral contract?

I'd rather leave that to Kev, if you don't mind. Certainly until he clears up those queries I had.

Frantically doesn't seem to be wrong, by my maths.

Dan

Quote: Robert Sacamano @ June 23 2011, 9:23 PM BST

Hi,

As Jim did further back in the thread I'm only going to vote for the scripts I want to give a full 'YES' to. Writing comedy is a tough process and I applaud each and every writer who has had the guts to submit a script to Sitcom Trials. I don't really want to dent the motivation and creativity needed to write any of those scripts, especially not on a forum. Whilst some scripts didn't always hit the funny bone and laugh count for me personally, or didn't fit the length and performance guidelines of the event, I could certainly see the spark, the idea and passion in absolutely all of them.

But a 'YES' go to:

Apocalypse
As Sick As A Parrot
Bi-Polar
Broken Records
Checkpoint Dave
Environmentally Friendly
Middling - The Gate
Shit Happens

O-kay, well don't want any of the above not to get a vote because I didn't put in a review, so:

APOCALYPSE JOHN:
Funny lines, good pay-off with the cauliflower and the potential for a great sitcom world.
AS SICK AS A PARROT:
Great stuff, jokes fell away a bit in places but a fantastic sitcom idea that you could see would have legs. Anyone saying that this world doesn't exist any longer is wrong IMO. I kept thinking of Wigan Athletic as I was reading it, and there are still lots of clubs which are owned by tight, Arkwright-type 'local boy done good' owners.
BI-POLAR:
Can't really see it as sitcom unless it's for radio, but nice lines, ideas (Kerplunk instead of chess, etc.) and the crossword puzzle / answer was a nice end.
BROKEN RECORDS:
Enjoyed the world but most of all the misunderstandings The Mask / Mask mistake was sheer class and can't believe no-one had hit on it before.
CHECKPOINT DAVE:
A new idea / 'sit' that I've not seen before and had a lovely feel to it mostly through the clear hierarchy / 'intelligence' of the characters. Felt very Blackadder whilst still having its own style and voice, with good twists and reverses.
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY
Just a crazy, jobsworth main character whom I adored. If it's not a sitcom then at the very least it's a great sketch character. Enjoyed the 'rules' and someone sings 'The Fraggles' theme tune for God's sake - funny!
MIDDLING - THE GATE
Nice characters and dialogue, felt real in its tone, problems and references, with scope to go forward into a sitcom.
SHIT HAPPENS
Just all-out, guns-blazing comedy. Funny because of its swearing? Partly, but that works for a lot of shows, plus it also tapped into the idea that some old folks reach a certain age and then simply don't give a ****. Some wonderful images and moments created just by the 'then what happened?' recollections.

And I did read all the other scripts. Will be happy to take a lie detector test or be subjected to waterboarding to prove this.

Quote: swerytd @ June 27 2011, 3:58 PM BST

I'd rather leave that to Kev, if you don't mind. Certainly until he clears up those queries I had.

Frantically doesn't seem to be wrong, by my maths.

Dan

Ok, thanks Dan.

Quote: Kev F @ June 27 2011, 7:19 AM BST

You should have your "winners" tonight. I use inverted commas because, remember, there are no real losers in The Sitcom Trials.

Oh I see, "tonight". Presumably we're using Sitcom Mission Time, which means that "tonight" means 23:59.

i think they have to check the winners for writing enhancing drugs before making the official announcement

I should be fine then, unless they consider three gallons of tea, fifteen packs of Jaffa Cakes and two dozen tubes of Smarties to be writing enhancing drugs.

Quote: Penge @ June 27 2011, 9:26 PM BST

I should be fine then, unless they consider three gallons of tea, fifteen packs of Jaffa Cakes and two dozen tubes of Smarties to be writing enhancing drugs.

:D

I wonder if this has all been some long and complex practical joke...

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 27 2011, 9:32 PM BST

I wonder if this has all been some long and complex practical joke...

If it is, it gets a 'Maybe' at best.

It doesn't accurately reflect the modern-day writing showcase in my opinion. NO.

Quote: Jim Coulson @ June 27 2011, 9:36 PM BST

If it is, it gets a 'Maybe' at best.

Haha! I don't like to use 'lol' but I did just indeed laugh out loud.

I think it was the joke, and not my medication.

Quote: Penge @ June 27 2011, 9:42 PM BST

Haha! I don't like to use 'lol' but I did just indeed laugh out loud.

I think it was the joke, and not my medication.

As long as you don't start rofling. It's downhill from there.

SITCOM TRIALS ONLINE VOTING RESULTS

Here are the results of the votes from the members of the two Sitcom Trials forums on the 44 scripts in contention for the Manchester Sitcom Trials. A Yes vote scored 2, a Maybe vote scored 1, and a No vote scored minus 1. I am prepared for other people to add the scores up differently. Some set of votes were discounted for containing no reviews.

I have uploaded the word document with my full table of votes counted to the SitsVac files (same place as the scripts). Please check my votes and tell me if you find any discrepancies which materially affect the TOP TEN SCORING SCRIPTS (ie is there anything likely to make the Top Ten or drop out of the Top Ten based on anyone else's maths?)

And the results are:

Checkpoint Dave 26
Shock Treatment25
Outgoings--ChristmasHit23
THEATRE OF DREAMS23
BI-POLAR 19
Keith Lymingstone-Brown18
As Sick As A Parrot 15
Privilege 15
Apocalypse, 13
Singing the Blues12
Lightning 11
Analysts 10
URBAN GUERILLAS9
And It's Life And Life Only7
God Complex 7
Agent of Chaos4
EnvironmentallyFRIENDLY4
Middling The Gate3
SuperFood.doc3
There must be someone else0
Treading water0
MATES RATES-1
An Ex Rated Date-2
Footlights-2
Living With Danger-2
ROCK-5
hardcow-6
THE OAP BUS-6
dead healthy-8
The Pinkie Device-8
Amateurs script -9
NOT ON A SCHOOL NIGHT-9
Shit Happens-10
Old Man -12
Three Bitches -13
BROKEN RECORDS-13
Caroline R.I.p-13
Cometh the Padre.-13
lo-fi (3 scenes)-13
ReasonstoBeCheerful-15
Highway to Hell-16
NO PROSPECT-16
The Oldham Chronicles-16
University of Life -20
FOUR IN A GYM-21

I will now be making a decision, along with the Manchester Sitcom Trials team, as to which of those scripts get performed on July 2nd. We will advise you as soon as the decision is made.

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials

Woo! Joint-3rd! Hope I make it to the live final. Thanks for who voted.

I got pretty much the same top ten in the same order.

I'll upload the spreadsheet to the group if anyone's interested?

Dan