Me & Arthur Haynes

Enjoyed Nicholas Parsons' warm reminiscing of Arthur Haynes on BBC Four this week, particularly as he has seldom been shown following his death in 1966. My parents always spoke fondly about Haynes who deserves a wider audience for his Johnny Speight-written sketches.
Some great sketches including the nervous barber and starving burglar nicking the cutlery.
I suspect he show was a victim of tape wiping so little of his material remains. If he wasn't, why is there no DVD release?

Click the link through and you'll see, Ian! :)

It was a very interesting show. Some great anecdotes.

Really enjoyed this programme.

I'd never even heard of Arthur Haynes, I didn't even know Parsons was a comedy actor, but this was an interesting show. Some of the sketches were brilliant.

Quote: AngieBaby @ March 3 2011, 9:57 PM GMT

I'd never even heard of Arthur Haynes, I didn't even know Parsons was a comedy actor, but this was an interesting show. Some of the sketches were brilliant.

There's a DVD coming out, you know... ;)

:) Yes, on what are you watching, I loved this and now understand how Paul Merton gets his timing and 'understatement'.

I really enjoyed this.
I'd never heard of him, but it's clear he was massive in his day.
The bits where he was corpsing while eating reminded me a bit of Pete n Dud in the Art Gallery sketch.

It was a sobering reminder of how transient fame can be. One minute he was huge, the next he was almost completely forgotten.

Finally got around to watching this. Only a month or so, I'm getting better. Anyway, an enjoyable chat with Nicholas who is still a lively and entertaining public speaker. The affection and respect for Arthur Haynes was clear. I would certainly like to see a bit more of the original shows now.

Here's your answer then, Agnes: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/me_and_arthur_haynes/buy/ :)

Ah top work!