Sick of comedy?

This might seem a strange post to stick on a website about comedy, but does anybody else get sick of comedy? Don't get me wrong, I love to laugh, and when a great sitcom comes along, I'm in seventh heaven. But there are times when I get so sick of the mediochre pap churned out by television. And don't get me started on the smug meanderings of comedians who aren't nearly as funny as they think they are. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a smugger more self-satisfied profession than that of comedian. Most of them really are tossers.

It's not so much comedy that annoys me but more the swearing. Thanks to Blenkinsop, I got my hands on a 'Bilko' boxset which relies purely on humour and not profanities for the the laughs. Ok, I accept that I'm probably in the minority with those that have a younger take on comedy but even so, that's just the way I see it.

The thing about comedy that does annoy me is that - ever since I've been trying to write it and ever sionce I've been on this web site I can't seem to enjoy it for itself and feel I have to analyse it all.

Do you want to talk about it?

I see you're on 666 so if you want to quickly.

666?

Post count.

I don't get sick of comedy. Certain shows, perhaps. Certain people, certainly. But not comedy.

It's certainly easy to get sick of stuff on TV... comedy or otherwise. I like to get out to live gigs as much as possible. If the comedy is bad then the audience soon lets the guy on stage know about it... :)

Quote: Aaron @ June 4, 2007, 12:39 PM

Post count.

Aah.

Quote: Aaron @ June 4, 2007, 12:39 PM

Post count.

I think Baumski knew that and saw that as a way of getting off it.

Moi?

I thought it was '616' that was the bad one...?

Oh no, no. no.no. no. They're ALL out to get you.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 4, 2007, 12:10 PM

The thing about comedy that does annoy me is that - ever since I've been trying to write it and ever sionce I've been on this web site I can't seem to enjoy it for itself and feel I have to analyse it all.

Same as me. I also do the same with films.

Quote: chipolata @ June 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a smugger more self-satisfied profession than that of comedian. Most of them really are tossers.

I'm trying to become a full time tosser so I really shouldn't comment. I think i'll get sick of comedy when I can't find anything new or interesting. Over here we've had the Office, The Mighty Boosh, Father Ted then the IT crowd, Garth Merenghi then Man to Man with Dean Learner. I think we're doing well.
In America Jewish humour is amazingly funny such as Gary Shandling, Woody Allen, Larry David and Sarah Silverman. All of which have produced great comedy. As for swear words would Richard Prior and Lenny Bruce be as funny or as revolutionary if they didn't swear?

I agree with your comment about comedians, there are some on the circuit like that but its a convention that comedians don't criticise other comedians so I really can't comment.

My advice look harder.