Does your accent... Page 2

In your videos you sound like the Englishest of Englishes to me.

Quote: zooo @ January 19 2011, 12:31 AM GMT

You are aware that this could be one of the biggest insults ever, zooo?

Nope.

'Cos Englishes are the best!

Quote: Batleywriter @ January 18 2011, 4:03 PM GMT

I cannot think of any successful male stand ups with a Yorkshire accent.

Alun Cochrane and Jon Richardson are two who spring to mind straight away (along with the bloke who's doing those Yorkshire internet ads on the telly).

Accents can help or hinder depending on the type of material you do, if you have a soft accent (a West Country burr for example) then you'll find it harder to do harsh, darker material, where as it'll accentuate daft or silly stuff, although, having said that Sarah Millican's soft Geordie accent allows her to get away with stuff that wouldn't be as acceptable if she was a cockney.

Basically it's all about marrying your image and accent with your material.

Vic Reeves

Quote: sootyj @ January 19 2011, 9:12 AM GMT

Vic Reeves

Honestly, sooty, you're like a kid running into the room with his dick superglued to his elbow.

Quote: zooo @ January 19 2011, 12:31 AM GMT

Now I'm intrigued Zooo. What English accent do I have

Pleased

I definitely think your accent has to match your material for it work, like Frankie Boyle has a coarse Scottish accent and his material consists of a lot of coarse material which works for him but if say David Mitchell said those things it would be a lot more shocking.

I'm from the same area as Tom from Fr. Ted with the 'I shot JR' tshirt. That obviously isnt his real accent but I know people who do talk like that.

Incidently he had a very popular stage show with the guy who played the host in the Eurovision episode of Fr. Ted. They basically spoof life in rural Ireland and they have just recently reformed.

Heres an oldish link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEAmtauCdsE

Then, of course, there was the famous Charlie Williams, used to do the Golden Shot. He had a Yorkshire accent.
I knew one comic in the 90s who did his act in a northern accent because he'd nicked all his gags from northern comedians.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 19 2011, 11:29 AM GMT

Honestly, sooty, you're like a kid running into the room with his dick superglued to his elbow.

?

Quote: sootyj @ January 19 2011, 12:06 PM GMT

?

Page one of this thread is all about Vic and Bob. Why won't you take the time to read every post before you make a contribution?! That's it - as punishment you have to read the whole of the Status Update thread and count the number of smileys.

Reading page one of any thread automatically causes compulsive masturbation and nerdiness.

You poor, poor man you must wish for death every day,

Quote: sootyj @ January 19 2011, 12:22 PM GMT

Reading page one of any thread automatically causes compulsive masturbation and nerdiness.

You poor, poor man you must wish for death every day,

I take it back. You now have to go through YouTube correcting all the spelling errors.

Easy OED has now accepted/

Nooob, innit, sux yo mum and ffffaaccckkkkk u.

Amongst others.

That restraining order isn't really working is it?

Quote: David Bussell @ January 19 2011, 11:29 AM GMT

Laughing out loud