UK hip hop mockumentary: In The Mix

Really could use some critique. If you like, please subscribe and comment! Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNq8OUBQL4

Follow esteemed journalist Peter Dalton as he investigates the trials and tribulations of rap group Blazin' Cartel, who use hip-hop as an escape from inner-city deprivation. The Cartel received newfound exposure and funding from government initiative The Bloom Trust after the success of their socially conscious track, 'Put Down The Knife.' As a result, Dalton is eager to understand the inner workings of their lifestyle and background as their profile and recognition is on the rise.

'In the Mix is the most gripping series I've made since 'Rock 'n Dole'. Although my initial hip-hop knowledge was limited, I jumped in at the deep end and soon learnt what it means to 'keep it real.' I never thought such morons would create such compelling television!'
Peter Dalton, Director, Peter Dalton Films.

Dalton's journey with Blazin Cartel takes him to Leeds and beyond as they work on new material in the studio, participate in the Bloom Trust job scheme, fight with rivals, flop gigs and continue to try and get signed.

Episodes released every Friday starting Friday 7th January 2011. Subscribe & never miss an episode at inthemixtv.com

Blazin' Cartel - http://blazincartel.bandcamp.com
Facebook Group - http://www.facebook.com/IntheMixTV

I thought it was ace - well acted, well produced and genuinely funny. Good work!

I thought it was very well produced and acted. Jester stood out for me as the star. A few bits made me laugh, but I couldn't help but think showing a bit more of the ridiculous side of the 'crew' would have made it really great. A fine 10 minutes though and I'll be adding it on Facebook.

Thank you all for watching.
New episode every Friday.
Believe me, it gets more ridiculous!

Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlDZBD-UIQU

Any else had a look?

I have had a look. Echoing what has already been said; the production and performances are very professional. I could genuinely see the band getting a following and turning into an online hip hop version of Spinal Tap.

I am very cynical though and the fact that it is so slick does make me curious as to who is behind this project and what the ambitions are. (sorry but I have assumed there has been a fair bit of money spent on this). However, I know "Eff All" about such technologies so I may have jumped to completely the wrong conclusion on this.

In my opinion there is huge potential in the project. However, as a comedy fan I feel that the first couple of episodes could have done with a few more laughs.

I am intrigued to see where this goes, particularly to see if the characters can be developed whilst avoiding the "Ali G" traps.

Thanks for the kind comments James.
We had a budget of next to nothing.
Glad that you're sticking with it.
Other people have not been so kind :)

Still seems a little light on laughs to be considered comedy in my opinion. The Swiss army knife bit was going in the right direction, but I think you could have pushed it further - maybe have the crew looking down on him for carrying a knife, scissors, saw, screwdriver and toothpick all in one. The raps need to be funnier too - although I imagine spoofing hip hop songs in an original way is quite difficult now.

Cheers for the feedback. I'd describe in the mix as mockumentary first, black comedy second. Realism was key as we were initially inspired by sanctimonious rap docs.
As it progresses I hope you can find more humour in repeated viewings.
In regards to the raps, I'm surprised you can't see the satire in 'put down the knife.'
Listen again and you might see we have created one of the most generic rap groups ever :) Http://blazincartel.bandcamp.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1lXaL1zBR4

Episode 3, I like this one.

Anyone had a look?

Best (and funniest) episode so far.

The character of Jester is extremely well observed and the bloke playing him is very good.

I think that the quality of your work deserves a much larger audience than the one it is currently getting.

James, thank you. I agree with you about the larger audience too.
Any suggestions of places to post/send the show?
It's making the rounds on forums/facebook etc but we would really like a bit of press exposure. Trying to sort it out too although we don't have to much of a budget at the moment.
Lots of people don't seem to spot the satire and humour in what we are attempting so when someone such as yourself 'gets' it, I'm delighted.
Cheers for watching, any other feedback would be appreciated :)

Only feedback - no tips, sorry.

Just watched episode one and really enjoyed it. Can say unreservedly that this deserves a wider audience. Not exactly a novel concept, but wonderfully executed all the same.

I'm not really one to critique people's creative endeavours, but when I see something I like, I'm not backward in coming forward with well deserved praise.

Particularly liked the reporter and the guy with the Ja-fake-an accent.

I was once personally involved in a similar scenario with a wannabe band in Hackney - this captures the moment with the faked accents, the 'pretend' backgrounds of the band, and a propensity to smoke weed all day and convince one another that they weren't cop outs and that if they stayed "true to me roots bro" one day the phone would ring and the big break would come.

They're probably still stoned right now, waiting for that phone call. Seventeen years later. And in another seventeen years? Cue the same scenario.

Maybe I liked it so much because I could absolutely relate to it. I did thoroughly enjoy it, rated it on You Tube and will check out subsequent episodes.

But it's late right now, so I'll have to leave that for another day.

Good job. Just sayin'

Skoob.