What are you listening to now? Page 726

Coldplay.

Bing Crosby.

Ramses Shaffy, who died yesterday. He was the greatest Dutch singer.

Al Green

Kids In Glass Houses - Youngblood

Some really odd music on a local public radio station. It's a cross between the music from the Cheese Shop sketch and something badly played on an accordion.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ December 2 2009, 4:32 PM GMT

Some really odd music on a local public radio station. It's a cross between the music from the Cheese Shop sketch

Can't beat a bit of Greek bouzouki music. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 2 2009, 11:29 PM GMT

Can't beat a bit of Greek bouzouki music. :)

But the same song went on for 9 minutes. The DJ apologized at the end for not looking to see how long the track was. :D

John and Beverley Martin - The Road to Ruin

Ah, any good is it? Still haven't got either of the partnership albums, but I was listening to London Conversation the other day and that still sounds great to me, 18 when he made that - that's Dylanesque in terms of natural talent!

It's (by far the) better of the two 'partnership' albums but not as good as his best solo stuff.

Yeah you don't hear much about the other one in reviews but RTR does get mentioned time to time. His next album after Island dropped Beverly (that's what they did really) was the big turning point in his style, wasn't it, where he used Echoplex and made everyone take note of him, so you have to say dropping his wife from the act was the right thing to do. I do love going back to his folky stuff tho for a change, so I might get RTR one day.

I prefer John Martyn's earlier stuff before his voice got too mannered.

Now onto the 'partnership' where, conversely, together they were better than the sum of their parts.

Richard and Linda Thomson - Pour Down Like Silver

No, I don't know that album. Is that the Thompson out of Fairport Convention/Incredible String Band?

Martyn's voice changed dramatically over the years didn't it, he learned to use it like an instrument. Oh that man is missed!

Yes. Richard Thomson from Fairport Convention.

No ISB connection (I think) other than the Witchseason/Island producer/label connection.