The Day Today

I couldn't see a thread about this show so I thought I might as well start one.

The reason why is because I've just come across the following on Armando Iannucci's Twitter account. He posted a message someone sent to him about how something from The Day Today has actually manifested itself in real-life. Namely, the papers (if the Daily Mail counts as one) are reporting that terrorists are planting bombs in dogs, an idea which previously appeared in this sketch.

The Day Today was truly fantastic but, unfortunately, some of its satirical power has been negated by the fact that if you watch any news programme nowadays it's almost identical to the fictionalised, over-the-top presentation of Morris and Iannucci's show.

When you can have Newsnight covering the council elections by having Jeremy Vine dressed as a cowboy, "shooting" the results from his "election six shooter" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JX8D1Kb88) then satire is redundant.

It was certainly ahead of its time. With some classic stuff, my favourite being the Bureau de Change series.

One of the best comedy series ever, ever, ever.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 7 2010, 12:52 PM GMT

The Day Today was truly fantastic but, unfortunately, some of its satirical power has been negated by the fact that if you watch any news programme nowadays it's almost identical to the fictionalised, over-the-top presentation of Morris and Iannucci's show.

You could argue that, or you could argue that The Day Today was way ahead of its time.

Another thing you could argue is that the majority of satire goes out of date quickly. It is all about current affairs. That is why the best satirical shows are the ones which do not mock actual people and current events but the systems around us, like the news and government.

No, I agree The Day Today was ahead of its time but the trouble is that the things which were funny because they were ridiculous 10 years ago are now actually normal on TV news.

Charlie Brooker recently said the same thing about the re-release of the "TV Go Home" book, some of the "stupid" programmes that he made up for the book have been by real life.

Yes, in time TV programmes made up on Time Trumpet will become real. I'm already waiting to see if Rape an Ape will get the go-a-head.

The greatest comedy feat of the 1990s IMHO (along with Partridge of course). Still think it's absolutely hilarious even today.

Fur Q

I rather like to think that Sky's "News Wall" is actually a homage to this show. (The Day Today also had Steve Coogan looking down the "News Pipe", of course.)

"in 1981 no one died"

I know it will make me a comedy cretin but I've never liked The Day Today. I missed it the first time round so always felt that I'd been missing out, but I just find it a bit absurd, unrealistic and repetitive.

I hate repetitive!

Ok, after watching a few episodes, you can tell the celebs are in on the gag. They know its not serious, especially DR Fox. You can tell he is doing his piece tongue in cheek!

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 16 2011, 10:25 PM GMT

Ok, after watching a few episodes, you can tell the celebs are in on the gag. They know its not serious, especially DR Fox. You can tell he is doing his piece tongue in cheek!

Nope.

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 16 2011, 10:25 PM GMT

Bollocks, I'm afraid.