American Dad

My favourite American sitcom of recent years has to be American Dad. I was luke warm to Family Guy, but American Dad is brilliant. It's dark and funny, with great characters, especially the bitchy camp alien. If anybody hasn't seen it, the first series is on sale in HMV at the moment for £9.99.

There are some mildly amusing moments, but I dunno, it just doesn't "do it" for me. It feels too smug and self-assured, but at the same time like it's trying too hard. Hard to describe. Just not my kind of thing, I suppose.

I've only seen a few episodes but thought those were very funny. I'll have to purchase the first series from the chaps at HMV.

Actually, talking of HMV, they've got a lot of BBC DVDs on sale at the moment, many at £6.99, so might be worth checking that out for some of you. :)

HMV Online, that is!

Quote: Jason Kindred @ October 25, 2006, 9:12 AM

I was luke warm to Family Guy, but American Dad is brilliant.

I love "American Dad"! In my opinion it's the best of the American animated sitcoms... brutally funny.

The Simpsons gets me laughing out loud about once every 10 mins, I average about once every two mins with American Dad. The car chase scene with the raccoon almost made me wet myself.

I might just have to order from HMV (although it'll dent my saving towards the complete Family Guy boxset)!

American Dad Series Two makes its debut next weekend in America... about time too.

Looks like it is back on BBC2 tonight. At the watchable time of 00.30. Well done BBC as usual!

Think i'll be setting the vid again...

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 20, 2006, 9:31 AM

Yet tune into BBC 3 any weeknight and it seems to wall to wall Two Pints Of Lager repeats, or Making Of shows about Dr Who or Torchwood.

I asked Stuart Murphy about this when he was head of BBC3 - to be fair to them they have quotas they have to keep within (the majority of their programming must be of British origin according to The BBC Charter).

That doesn't excuse the time of day they broadcast American comedy or the lack of promotion though - it is abysmal isn't it! For example, why have they got a repeat of Little Britain on before Family Guy? This should be on at prime-time not just for us but for them too (I'm sure it'd be a ratings winner for them if they treated it with a bit of respect).

And I forgot to set the vid...

I think that they lost the plot when Channel 4 bought the rights to The Simpsons. :(

Who can forget the way that they treated The Simpsons? Shown initially on BBC1 (where it deserved to be) and then shunted to BBC2 where it bounced around the schedules until they lost interest and Channel Four stepped in.

Something else I hate is when they "double up" episodes, and show them back to back. It always feels they're trying to get shot of them as quickly as possible, and shows a complete lack of respect for the the show. Having said that, I would like to see all five episodes of Eastenders shown back to back at 3AM on Sunday mornings.

Quote: Aaron @ October 25, 2006, 9:24 AM

There are some mildly amusing moments, but I dunno, it just doesn't "do it" for me. It feels too smug and self-assured, but at the same time like it's trying too hard. Hard to describe. Just not my kind of thing, I suppose.

I agree with you. I watch it from time to time when there's nothing else on

Always good to watch when there's nothing else on - especially something by Jennifer Saunders.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 25, 2007, 12:39 AM

Always good to watch when there's nothing else on - especially something by Jennifer Saunders.

ok ur getting on my nerves now
if you don't want me here say it straight to my face instead of bashing what I like

Sorry - I'm not being personal but I just don't find her funny.