Psychiatrist Sitcom - help me remember...

I hope this is the right forum...There was a marvellous British comedy running on New Zealand TV back in the early 80's about a psychiatrist. The actor was very quietly spoken, very formal with a clipped sort of Home Counties accent. He would subtly turn his own problems onto his clients, while being unaware of what he was doing, to the quiet bemusement of the client. It was a very low key affair and brilliantly written. I can't remember much about his family life but I seem to remember he had a supportive spouse. Not much to go on, but if anyone can suggest a lead I would love to hunt down any details.

Trouble In Mind sounds vaguely possbile, but wrong time if you're remembering that correctly. http://www.phill.co.uk/comedy/inmind/

Aaron, thanks for the speedy reply, but definitely not the Richard O'Sullivan one. I definitely remember it being shown in the early 80s, although it could have been produced earlier than that. I remember it for being very low key, the lead actor in his 40s had a rather gaunt, troubled look. Thanks again for helping with this, it's driving me mad!!

Is there any chance you're getting one or more shows merged in your mind? Your description of the psychiatrist himself does sound somewhat like Chris Langham in 2005's superb Help. https://www.comedy.co.uk/help/

Are you sure the shrink was the main character? Your description of him suggests Nicholas Le Prevost as Peter Tilbury's psychiatrist in It Takes A Worried Man, which would fit the date.

...or maybe Dear John?

Dear John... started in 1986 so doesn't match the date, and I don't recall a psychiatrist? Certainly not as a primary scenario or character.

Quote: Timbo @ October 26 2010, 6:51 PM BST

Are you sure the shrink was the main character? Your description of him suggests Nicholas Le Prevost as Peter Tilbury's psychiatrist in It Takes A Worried Man, which would fit the date.

That's the one that springs to my mind too...good show I thought

Quote: sidecar jon @ October 26 2010, 9:28 PM BST

...good show I thought

Yes fondly remembered.

Fellow members, you have cracked it! Yes, it was the show It Takes A Worried Man, the overall plot comes flooding back to me now. Brilliant sleuthing from the most cryptic of clues! No surprise that the writer(s) of this were involved with Shelley, another top notch, underplayed comedy. Thank you all so much for this - it was one of those mysteries I thought (after many years of vague and fond memories of the show) that I would never unravel. Now I just need to convince someone to release the DVD...