Have sketches become less formulaic?

Have (mostly) one idea sketches become a lot rarer? The Two Ronnies for instance worked on different formulas, such as answering the question before the last one, or representing words in initials, or a 'cross-line' between two people on a phone. Admittedly, not all these ideas worked, but they seem to be missing nowadays.

I think I know what you're trying to say, but you've said it in a very odd way.

And no, I think a lot of recent sketch shows suffer from being far too formulaic. By which I mean having one simple idea that is flogged to death episode after episode rather than, in a Python, or Fry And Laurie style, coming up with new stuff every week.

I have limited experience with sketch shows (the shows from your side of the world rarely end up over here) but I think there is a fine line between having a decent recurring idea and overkill. So many brilliant ideas are made into single sketches that don't need to keep coming back, while some start out great but fail due to overexposure. I think Mitchell and Webb do this a lot. I think sometimes they just need to walk away.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 26 2010, 1:04 PM BST

I think I know what you're trying to say, but you've said it in a very odd way.

And no, I think a lot of recent sketch shows suffer from being far too formulaic. By which I mean having one simple idea that is flogged to death episode after episode rather than, in a Python, or Fry And Laurie style, coming up with new stuff every week.

Perhaps that's it, they flog the formula they've worked with, rather than looking for 'original' formulas, as it were. Trouble is, that to keep coming up with original formulas looks more formulaic, maybe. Using the same idea you used last week gives the impression that you're not doing the same thing Python did for instance. Maybe it's quite a ego-driven way of doing things-as if you're stuff's better than the writers who came before?

Surely we have to come up with new ways of saying things?

I've yet to see an improvement on the formula developed 3000 years ago by Aristotle in 'The Poetics'. Every comedy story (which includes a joke or a sketch) begins in a normal place (Act 1), complications ensue (Act 2), there is a cathartic moment (end of Act 2) and the story is resolved (Punchline, act 3).

The formula is never the problem. Lazy writing is the problem.

And if anyone improved that, you'd have to rewrite your course, Dave! Too lazy to change it, eh? ;)

Dan

You say that Dan, but the royalties I have to pay to Aristotle's estate have singlehandedly rescued the Greek economy.

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 26 2010, 10:41 AM BST

Have (mostly) one idea sketches become a lot rarer? The Two Ronnies for instance worked on different formulas, such as answering the question before the last one, or representing words in initials, or a 'cross-line' between two people on a phone. Admittedly, not all these ideas worked, but they seem to be missing nowadays.

You seem to be using the word 'formula' in a different way to that which most of us understand. I wouldn't say those Two Ronnies' sketches were formulaic, I'd say they were each very individual. Yes, they each took an idea and made a sketch from it, but that's kinda the opposite of 'formulaic'.

Quote: Nogget @ September 27 2010, 5:58 PM BST

I wouldn't say those Two Ronnies' sketches were formulaic, I'd say they were each very individual.

I think he is saying that.

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 26 2010, 10:41 AM BST

Have (mostly) one idea sketches become a lot rarer?

Reviewing the contents of the folder on my laptop marked 'Sketches', my answer is "No"...

Quote: Badge @ September 27 2010, 11:36 PM BST

I think he is saying that.

So do I , but I think of the word 'formulaic' as being what Little Britain do, taking the same idea and repeating that formula ad nauseum. And that's the opposite of taking an idea and using it for just one sketch.

Yes

This is why I stopped watching That Mitchell and Webb Look. It's nothing but repetition. You see one episode per series, you've seen them all. Just imagine different costumes and subtly tweaked scenarios.

There is a difference between repeating a tired formulaic sketch with different parts however, and doing continuing sketches. Example, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is great because while it has the same characters and they get up to the same hijinks, it doesn't rely upon the exact same set up and punchline every time. How are you supposed to laugh when you've already seen it a thousand times and you know by the end Hennimore will mix the two things up and trouble will ensue and his boss will say "Hennimore!" Comedy is all about surprise and without surprise you might crack a smile but you won't laugh.