Life's Too Short Page 47

That's a rumour started by Gervais in hopes that it'll become true.

This 'sit-com' was a weak, pathetic, insulting, lazy effort from the writing partnership which until now I have always had the highest respect for. The set-pieces were annoying and and the relationships were unbelievable.
Two examples of unbelievable relationships:
If you advertised for a PA and the only applicant that turned up was a clinical retard, you keep looking. You do not hire them and then put up with their constant moronic behaviour.

His mate, the accountant, who is apparently responsible for his financial destitution is the largest of many shining examples of lazy script writing. His character's sole purpose is to do stupid things that make warwick's life more difficult. There is no believable interaction there that would make me believe they are friends.

I could go on but merely writing about my severe disappointment and disillusionment with RG and SM and the appalling sit-com they wearily shat-out is extremely depressing.

He's right, you know.

Actually I think he's being a little lenient.

He did say he could go on.

another of the many failings of this show that persuaded me that is wasn't worth 30 minutes of my life a week was the RG/SM office scenes. Why were they on the same side of the table? it looked like a job interview, are we to believe they sit like that all the time? or does SM nip round and sit there whenever they are entertaining guests (and I use the word 'entertaining in it's broadest possible connotation). They must have believed that it would look humourous, it didn't.

plus, the version of RG he wrote for himself is possibly the most arrogant, conceited self portrait I've witnessed since the graffiti depicting a man with a over-sized penis which bore the title 'me and my monster cock!' was painted over in the library's lavatory. We've all listened to his radio shows and pod-casts, were fans partly because of the way he acts around people he knows. the office scenes failed to deliver, for shame.

I wasn't expecting too much, I didn't like extras too much the first time I watched it but it grew on me, and the more I watched it the more I enjoyed it. the more I watched this the more I lamented the missed opportunity for comedy with the resources at RG and SM disposal.

I originally thought we'd only ever see Gervais and Merchant behind that desk, which would have been mildly amusing. But then we started seeing them around the office. And even out of the office in the last episode. Which ruined it.

Gervais just tweeted this link - wonder how long he spent voting on it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1641247/

Quote: Conan the uncivilized @ January 8 2012, 10:15 PM GMT

plus, the version of RG he wrote for himself is possibly the most arrogant, conceited self portrait I've witnessed since the graffiti depicting a man with a over-sized penis which bore the title 'me and my monster cock!' was painted over in the library's lavatory.

I laughed, can I borrow that for my standup?

Maybe America likes it more than Britain.
(Has it started there yet?)

Don't think so; he's asked his American followers to tweet him pictures of bill boards advertsing the show.

Quote: zooo @ January 29 2012, 10:22 PM GMT

No. Although some of his British fans are pretty obsessive about him, zooo. ;)

Quote: Conan the uncivilized @ January 7 2012, 9:39 PM GMT

This 'sit-com' was a weak, pathetic, insulting, lazy effort from the writing partnership which until now I have always had the highest respect for. The set-pieces were annoying and and the relationships were unbelievable.
Two examples of unbelievable relationships:
If you advertised for a PA and the only applicant that turned up was a clinical retard, you keep looking. You do not hire them and then put up with their constant moronic behaviour.

His mate, the accountant, who is apparently responsible for his financial destitution is the largest of many shining examples of lazy script writing. His character's sole purpose is to do stupid things that make warwick's life more difficult. There is no believable interaction there that would make me believe they are friends.

I could go on but merely writing about my severe disappointment and disillusionment with RG and SM and the appalling sit-com they wearily shat-out is extremely depressing.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time - and not just in the gents - the last series of Extras and the Christmas special had all the character inconsistency and narrative improbability we've come to know and not love from Life's Too Short.

Most disappointing of all was the throwing away of the character of Maggie, brilliantly played by Ashley Jensen and her relationship with Gervais' Andy - originally as credible and pleasing as the Tim/Dawn one.

I think it's unlikely G and M'll ever do anything really good again, since their early achievements appear to have involved a confluence of forces they weren't entirely in control of.

When I saw Quentin Tarantino interviewed after the success of Reservoir Dogs I was surprised, because he was clearly an imbecile and obviously didn't 'have it'. Later on I had to eat my words when Pulp Fiction was released. Later still I was able to regurgitate my words and have them stand as he flailed around and curled off script after stinking script that showed that without bits and pieces of other people's writing and long pored over and polished juvenilia the cupboard was bare.

I think the same thing is going to happen to Ricky and Steve.

Quote: zooo @ January 29 2012, 10:22 PM GMT

Maybe America likes it more than Britain.

It goes out in March I believe. I will be interested to see if it is re-edited before then or is broadcast as shown here. It has been universally panned and the 7.8 imdb rating is extremely unrepresentative.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 30 2012, 12:40 AM GMT

When I saw Quentin Tarantino interviewed after the success of Reservoir Dogs I was surprised, because he was clearly an imbecile and obviously didn't 'have it'. Later on I had to eat my words when Pulp Fiction was released. Later still I was able to regurgitate my words and have them stand as he flailed around and curled off script after stinking script that showed that without bits and pieces of other people's writing and long pored over and polished juvenilia the cupboard was bare.

I think the same thing is going to happen to Ricky and Steve.

I can't think of one acclaimed director / performer / writer who hasn't made at least one stinker.

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 30 2012, 2:15 AM GMT

I can't think of one acclaimed director / performer / writer who hasn't made at least one stinker.

Neither can I, but that wasn't what I said.