UK comedians couldn't do a Daily Show Page 2

What on earth is this thread about and who are these people?

Quote: Chappers @ August 26 2010, 12:40 AM BST

What on earth is this thread about and who are these people?

Here...

Quote: sanniberry @ August 25 2010, 8:13 PM BST

I've never watched Sky News or any other British 24 hour news network - are they insane enough to mock? The thing about TDS and The Colbert Report is that the material they parody/poke fun at is so plentiful and idiotic, it's pretty easy to make fun of it.

Check out the spoof news show The Day Today which rips apart the self importance of news conventions. Made in the mid 1990s, it still looks fresh as the British TV current affairs becomes more idiotic and vacuous.

I think Charlie Brooker could just about pull it off (it wouldn't be live like the Alternative Election Night). But then again, I think Charlie Brooker could do anything because I love him.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 26 2010, 1:12 PM BST

I think Charlie Brooker could just about pull it off (it wouldn't be live like the Alternative Election Night). But then again, I think Charlie Brooker could do anything because I love him.

Much as I love Charlie, he's probably too loved up to be that nasty and cutting anymore.

Stupid Connie Huq :(

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 26 2010, 1:19 PM BST

Much as I love Charlie, he's probably too loved up to be that nasty and cutting anymore.

She'll trample his grinch heart soon enough!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 26 2010, 1:52 PM BST

She'll trample his grinch heart soon enough!

She'll be too busy doing Xtra Factor to give him any loving.

I think Charlie Brooker could do it. It might be very different in style to TDS though, but that could work.

I love TDS by the way.:)

Bob Mills!

Well Daily's taken an old British artform and perfected it (if he has, I've only seen it once), and we can do each other's stuff - we never had anyone like a Letterman or Leno (can't stand that twat) until Ross came along, and imo bettered them.

I never really took to The Daily Show, but The Colbert Report is hilarious.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 1 2010, 2:14 PM BST

Well Daily's taken an old British artform and perfected it (if he has, I've only seen it once), and we can do each other's stuff - we never had anyone like a Letterman or Leno (can't stand that twat) until Ross came along, and imo bettered them.

That'll be the grand noble art of butting in.

Mind you I agree Ross is better than Letterman or the weasely Craig Ferguson who has reinvented himself in the US as an extremely oily chat show host.

Would be nice to see chat shows in which guests are invited on for being interesting and the host stuck to asking questions he wants to hear the answers to. Mark Lawson's occasional BBC4 interviews fit into this category.

Also toe curling to see fine actors from great US shows like the West Wing or the Wire come over here and none of the British chat show hosts, like O'Grady, Ross or Norton, having the faintest idea who they are or what their programme is about.

I travel a bit with work and the Daily Show and Colbert Report are often the only comedy shows on, so they have kept me sane when away from home. Foreign tele is rubbish!

I think it's a shame we don't have an equivalent because we should have. We invented irony, and sarcasm comes naturally to most Brits. With the wealth of comedic talent we should be able to produce something decent, surely? Loads of Brits abroad would love it too.

This kind of show is just shooting fish in a barrel. Although cheap to produce I suppose. Probably works so well in the US due to the large volume of morons available over there to watch it!