UK comedians couldn't do a Daily Show

It's a shame there are so few up and coming personalities in this country with the wit and understanding of politics as Jon Stewart. His reports on the ousting of Gordon Brown were funnier and more incisive than anything in this country.

The election night Channel Four show highlighted this when even bright sparks like Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell (both great at media satirists) suddenly looked woefully out of their depth.

Have I Got News For You (unlike Radio 4's News Quiz) died a death years ago thanks to Merton and Hislop's moulding presence suffers and Mock The Week is more of a stand-ups format than political satire.

I seem to remember Channel 4 tried a Daily Show rip off with Jason Manford which is just about the most embarrassing piece of crap ever broadcast and they seem to have to draught in old news readers (who aren't Pros in this field) to do topical satire shows.

Although the UK has a more established tradition of satire (and Stewart cut his teeth with the likes of Armando Ianucci on Where's Elvis This Week) and it's only the occasionally broadcast Bremner Bird and Fortune that know their stuff. No wonder John Oliver stays on Stewart's show.

I Lovey Jon Stewart

I swear we had a thread where this was discussed, but I can't find it.

Aaaaaah, that's the one!

And Light Lunch which was ace.

The Daily Show is some of the unfunniest shit I have ever had the displeasure to see - and I watched all of According To Bex. Stewart seems to have forged a career out of pointing out the (mostly) obvious to the idiots, and missing all the easy targets he aims for. An unbearable man.

As for The Late List, I'm not sure it's meant to be a UK version, as some posts would lead one to believe.

Quote: Aaron @ August 20 2010, 3:34 PM BST

The Daily Show is some of the unfunniest shit I have ever had the displeasure to see - and I watched all of According To Bex.

Is it worse than Big Top? I can't remember it very well now.

According To Bex or The Daily Show?

Quote: youngian @ August 20 2010, 2:16 PM BST

I seem to remember Channel 4 tried a Daily Show rip off with Jason Manford which is just about the most embarrassing piece of crap ever broadcast and they seem to have to draught in old news readers (who aren't Pros in this field) to do topical satire shows.

That was an abomination of a show.

I don't really get those US news/entertainment/satire shows either though. Isn't it just an excuse for mass whooping?

Quote: youngian @ August 20 2010, 2:16 PM BST

It's a shame there are so few up and coming personalities in this country with the wit and understanding of politics as Jon Stewart.

Does it have to be an up and coming personality?

I think someone with a bit of gravitas, but who is still young at heart would do well in a UK version. My vote = Jonathon Ross.

:)

You'll hate my second suggestion even more... Russell Brand. Think about it, he's caring, kind, interested in people.

Number 3 is Clarkson. Then it's you Griff.

Quote: Aaron @ August 20 2010, 3:34 PM BST

The Daily Show is some of the unfunniest shit I have ever had the displeasure to see - and I watched all of According To Bex. Stewart seems to have forged a career out of pointing out the (mostly) obvious to the idiots, and missing all the easy targets he aims for. An unbearable man.

Is Jon Stewart a bit too left wing for you?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 20 2010, 9:06 PM BST

Is Jon Stewart a bit too left wing for you?

No.

Even Hitler is.

I've never watched Sky News or any other British 24 hour news network - are they insane enough to mock? The thing about TDS and The Colbert Report is that the material they parody/poke fun at is so plentiful and idiotic, it's pretty easy to make fun of it.

There's no real dearth of topical/satirical humour in the UK, though. Of course, you could say there can never be enough, just the political happenings would keep such a show busy but still. I'm not anxious for a British TDS or anything, though I greatly enjoyed the Daily Show's general election coverage.