BBC's New Writing Initiatives Page 5

Missed the 'London' bit - do they have to be set in London?

Anyway I wish the initiative well, but I hope it's not the cue for a load more awful Eastern-European accents ;)

Quote: Griff @ August 24 2010, 9:49 PM BST

You say this as if writing about someone else's culture is a simple thing anyone should be able to do.
I don't believe it is. It is difficult enough writing about your own.

No I mean a writer can learn and research and take an interest.

It's a challenge but you know it's a challenge that's worth taking.

Griff & Sooty sitting in a tree
K I S S I N G! :)
*Lets get it on starts to play in the background*
*Sooty starts to rub his very own cock*
*Griff gets his bouncy balls out*

:D

Quote: Griff @ August 24 2010, 9:59 PM BST

Well yes there are lots of examples of very good writers writing novels set in all kinds of cultures.

It's possible that the great Muslim sitcom which becomes the 21st century classic national treasure the BBC are hoping and praying for could be written by some atheistic ginge from the Isle Of Wight, who's looked up all about Muslims on funnyforeigners.com. But I think more likely to come from someone writing from their own life experience.

Oh I dunno what about that film the Infidel? (albeit I thought it was shit.)

And weren't some of the best writers of 50s and 60s sitcoms 4 by 2s?

I really hope I'm not doomed to write about semitic charity workers for all eternity.

And you sir have written at least one script well away from your ethnic heritage.

Quote: Griff @ August 24 2010, 10:04 PM BST

Charley sitting in a tree.
F**king hell where's the tree gone.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud My fanny ate it? :O

I dunno isn't the whole point of sitcoms they're more about the characters than the sit. You should be able to write a decent sitcom about 2 dog turds and a pile of puke if you get the characterisation right?

And look at Curry and Chips. Chock full of coloured and written by a white fella.

I suppose if you wanted to write a sitcom about living with a mental illness or a disability, a sufferer would write it the best.
It would depend though on how mental the mentalist was.

Also no one says it has to be the "Take the piss with the Islamist," I mean just abit more varied?"

Laughing out loud
I am not Mr.
I am saying a mentalist of any colour will write a better sitcom on mentals.
A disabled person of any colour will write a better sitcom on disability.
I am not sure though on a chinese mental disabled person as I would be worried about them being a triad but other than that all is good.

I am agreeing I suppose that a diverse person will write about diversity better.

I reckon I could write a f**king better sitcom on disability than Joey Deacon.

Even with Ernie helping him out.

I think a comedy written by a mentalist could be quite fun.

You would get a lot of noises in it.

Maybe some blood.

Quote: Griff @ August 24 2010, 10:28 PM BST

To me it implies more than dusting off your rejected birdwatching sitcom from 1992 and Find-Replacing your lead character's name from Brian to Sanjay. But it's not my sitcom contest.

*Dusts off birdwatching sitcom from 1992 and Find-Replaces lead character's name from Brian to Griff*

I love Griff. I want to marry him & have babies with him!

Quote: Griff @ August 24 2010, 10:39 PM BST

*gulps*

A swallower. I just could not love you anymore than I do right now. Lovey Lovey Lovey Lovey Lovey Lovey Lovey Lovey Lovey Hug Hug Hug

:D. I know you love me back.