BBC's New Writing Initiatives Page 19

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2010, 10:21 AM BST

I heard you were gluten intolerant and love making all your own bread with chick pea flour?

And there for are a pea-dough-phile

I also understand you enjoy making Homer Simpson impersonations at the author of Bloodwork

And there fore are a Mark-P-doh!-phile.

You always go that extra mile, don't you soots? Then you just keep right on going...

Just reaching for that rainbow!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 4 2010, 6:09 PM BST

The shorlisted 6 have been announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2010/10/all_mixed-up_shortlist.shtml

Good to see our own Tom G on the list.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 5 2010, 12:06 AM BST

Well there's no need to get personal! :(

And, Marc, for the record, I've just finished my first proper feature screenplay. A black comedy. So I shall soon be moving on from being apoplectic with rage about sitcoms I didn't write to, instead, being apoplectic with rage about movies I didn't write.

:)

Er, I mean... Angry

Isn't it PC to say Rainbow Comedy these days?

I think probably the PC alternative to "black comedy" is "dark comedy". Personally, I see a distinction between the two labels. Dark comedy is usually employed to imply a comedy with more dramatic/unpalatable elements to it. Black comedy historically has been used to describe drama which is so unpalatable/absurd that comedy is just one of the effects which can stem from it.

Er...

I forget what we were talking about. Errr

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 6 2010, 4:09 PM BST

I think probably the PC alternative to "black comedy" is "dark comedy". Personally, I see a distinction between the two labels. Dark comedy is usually employed to imply a comedy with more dramatic/unpalatable elements to it. Black comedy historically has been used to describe drama which is so unpalatable/absurd that comedy is just one of the effects which can stem from it.

Er...

I forget what we were talking about. Errr

So... like The Cosby Show?

Quote: David Bussell @ October 6 2010, 4:10 PM BST

Ironically, there is a lot of darkness in Cosby's life.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 6 2010, 4:10 PM BST

I used to watch that, often in wonder at how many old jazz legends Bill and family seemed to be related to.

Anyway, I'm off to the kitchen to get me some of your mother's cherry pie!

*walks black* Cool

I'm not impressed with the choice of the Beeb but then again I haven't read them but how can a story about a woman that is preggers and doesn't know out of four men who the father is, progress into a lengthy series?
I won't comment on the others but just say this. Every time one submits a short story or a play or a sitcom idea, it is absolute death to do one on a lottery win theme [everyone knows that except the beeb seemingly] no magazine or theatre will touch it........the mind boggles.
My entry was scripted from a published novel....my husbands [with full permission to do that BTW] and whilst it is obviously good enough for publishers, it's not good enough for the beeb. It's hilarious/sad/pathos/true and could have gone on for years.........

A little bitter, there!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 6 2010, 8:55 PM BST

A little bitter, there!

What's wrong with bitter?

Quote: bushbaby @ October 6 2010, 8:56 PM BST

What's wrong with bitter?

It makes you fat? Errr

True but who cares?

Quote: bushbaby @ October 6 2010, 8:49 PM BST

I'm not impressed with the choice of the Beeb but then again I haven't read them but how can a story about a woman that is preggers and doesn't know out of four men who the father is, progress into a lengthy series?
I won't comment on the others but just say this. Every time one submits a short story or a play or a sitcom idea, it is absolute death to do one on a lottery win theme (everyone lnows that except the beeb seemingly) .......the mind boggles.
My entry was scripted from a published novel....my husbands and whilst it is obviously good enough for publishers, it's not good enough for the beeb

Them's some sour grapes.

Breaking Bad started out being a show about a chemistry teacher with terminal cancer turning to cooking meth to provide for his family. Season 4 is being written now and it's proved itself to be some of the consistently best drama on telly despite the hero originally being given only months to live.

And The IT Crowd started out being a show about I.T.

My point is that a good show is capable of mutating from its original premise while keeping entertaining.

As for your script of a published novel, no disrespect but that's not much of an argument for why yours should have been the one to win the initiative. Lots of good novels are published every year but who's to say any of them suit being adapted to the sitcom format? Or even if they're any good? Or whether the adaptation was done competently?

PS. Everyone knows a lottery win theme is absolute death? I did not know that.

Quote: bushbaby @ October 6 2010, 9:21 PM BST

The novel is a true story and is sad/hilarious/pathos/drama and as a true story can go on for years but I guess the Jewish theme isn't 'in'.

Yeah. Jews and comedy just don't mix.