The Judgement of Solomon

SC1 - THE SET OF A GLITZY TV SHOW - NIGHT

THE PRESENTER, DAVINA BALL, IS IN THE SPOTLIGHT. THE CAMERA CUTS AWAY TO TWO COUPLES BOTH OF WHOM LOOK NERVOUS.

DAVINA:
Just one more couple can make it through to next week's show. The other one will have to rely on...the judgement of Solomon.

CAMERA CUTS TO DAVINA AND EACH OF THE COUPLES IN TURN.

DAVINA:
The final couple to make it through to next week's show is....(REDICULOUS PAUSE)

GRAMS___________________________DRUM MUSIC INCREASING IN VOLUME

DAVINA:
Geoff and Sharon!

SCENES OF CHAOS. HUGGING AND CRYING ETC ETC.

DAVINA:
OK John and Stacey. You haven't got enough votes and you will have to rely on the judgement of Solomon. Join us for that immediately after the break. We'll be right back.

SC2. A COURTROOM - NIGHT.

DAVINA, JOHN & STACEY ARE THERE. THREE JUDGES SIT ON HIGH. IN THE MIDDLE SITS SOLOMON.

DAVINA:
Solomon! Have you reached a verdict?

SOLOMON:
Davina, you know this just gets tougher and tougher every week. This is really hardest decision we've had to make yet but (PAUSE)

SOLOMON PUTS ON A BLACK CAP

SOLOMON:
John and Stacey, you will be taken from here to a place of execution and there you will be hanged by the neck until dead. May God have mercy on your souls.

CUT TO AUDIENCE AND THE DISTRAUGHT PARENTS OF JOHN AND STACEY WHO CAN'T BELIEVE IT. A BANNER SAYING GO JOHN AND STACEY HANGS LIMPLY.

DAVINA:
Oh Dear oh dear oh dear! What a sad ending you guys. But before you're bumped off...let's have a look at your best bits!

MONTAGE OF JOHN AND STACEY IN HAPPIER TIMES

SC3. A GALLOWS IN THE STUDIO - NIGHT:

A SINGLE BELL TOLLS. JOHN AND STACEY IN SHACKLES ARE LED TO THE GALLOWS. WE SEE THEM STANDING WITH ROPES AROUND THEIR NECKS. THERE IS A DRUM ROLL AND THE CAMERA CUTS AWAY. TWO SICKENING DULL THUDS.

DAVINA:
Ahhh! Still never mind. Join us next week for the first semi-final of...The Judgement of Solomon

ROLL CREDITS

END

Like it, Blenkinsop. It's a topic very close to my heart, that reality TV viciousness. I've written a lot on it (a sitcom called 'Reality Bites' about two hapless documentary makers who make shows called things like 'Celebrity Sex Shit Eating' and “Celebrity Lift Shaft”, in which Jodie Marsh and Pete Burns unwittingly get trapped in a lift and have to shag their way out on live TV).
I like how dark this sketch is and I think it's got legs. Unlike the contestants in 'Extreme Bleeding Stumps', in which recent amputees go to a boot camp to run assault courses.

Haha -- quality Blenks!

Not sure if it's a sketch or a genuine pitch to a production company! Go on -- you might make millions...

Dan

Considering the state of this kind of television, this really does hit the target. But perhaps it would make more of an impact if real names were used. I can just imagine all the banal faces that Davina McCall would pull as John and Stacey were hanging or should that be Jade, Jack and her mother.

Quote: Baumski @ May 14, 2007, 9:17 AM

... Jade...

Ah, where comedy stops and an imporant public service starts.

Dan

Thanks for the comments Fred, Dan and Baumski.

This stuff is just getting out of hand completely. Isn't there a programme maker out there who can actually make some kind of prime time show that doesn't have all this nasty humiliation and voting people off?

What next? Childrens Hour where they get kiddies to vote off Postman Pat or Fireman Sam or one of the Telly Tubbies?

I agree. We should be able to vote out the leader of our country every five years...Oh yes, we can. Great sketch by the way.

Thank you WJFK or may I call you Wildjesusfishkid?

Glad you liked it