Kids' sitcoms?

I've been wondering if there is such a thing as kids' sitcoms.

The closest I can think of that might fit that description is 'Rentaghost' (although I've only seen Series 1 in recent years). Certain episodes at least take on a very 'traditional British sitcom' style.

'Catweazle' is another one that comes to mind. However, maybe that is just fantasy? There is quite a bit of humour in it though. Worzel Gummidge is similar in style to Catweazle, but the variations of moods of Worzel Gummdige is more extreme.

Anyone else have thoughts?

I've got a thought about that title, Steve. It's a thought I've shared with the NZ police.

I fondly recall The Ghosts of Motley Hall.

The Chuckle Brothers? Plenty of slapstick humour and a traditional underdog.

My Parents Are Aliens.
Sabrina The Teenage Witch.
Kenan And Kel
The Wild House.
Barmy Aunt Boomerang.

There's just some that spring to mind, there's been quite a lot; obviously most of them are broadcast on childrens TV though.

Two Pints of Lager
Coming of Age

I used to like Round The Twist. An Australian offering.

Quote: Simon B @ June 10 2010, 9:19 AM BST

Was talking about his last night. I remember the one where they get shat on by a load of seagulls.

Quote: Simon B @ June 10 2010, 9:19 AM BST

Fantastic theme tune. Can't remember much about the show, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZdL5qJ1I3I

This should be sampled and made into a floor filling, bass stomping, house track. Well I'd buy it. Actually I probably wouldn't.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ June 10 2010, 7:40 AM BST

I've been wondering if there is such a thing as kids' sitcoms.

The closest I can think of that might fit that description is 'Rentaghost' (although I've only see Series 1 in recent years). Certain episodes at least take on a very 'traditional British sitcom' style.

'Catweazle' is another one that comes to mind. However, maybe that is just fantasy? There is quite a bit of humour in it though. Worzel Gummidge is similar in style to Catweazle, but the variations of moods of Worzel Gummdige is more extreme.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Do you mean to ask if there is a stylistic difference, essentially creating a new- or sub-genre, between a "childrens'" sitcom and any other?

Think Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain started out writing children's sitcom.......I know a couple of other writers who also first dipped their quills in the children's ink.

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2010, 10:54 AM BST

Do you mean to ask if there is a stylistic difference, essentially creating a new- or sub-genre, between a "childrens'" sitcom and any other?

Well, I suppose the primary real difference would be that their primary target audience is children. It's just that I hadn't really thought about sitcoms for children as really existing before - whether it is something obvious to others or not.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 10 2010, 8:14 AM BST

I've got a thought about that title, Steve. It's a thought I've shared with the NZ police.

I am amazed and angry that such an 'in the gutter' comment could be passed by in this forum.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ June 11 2010, 4:21 AM BST

I am amazed and angry that such an 'in the gutter' comment could be passed by in this forum.

I would spend less time being 'amazed and angry' and learn to spell. ;)