Family Guy new series

Anyone been watching the new series of Family Guy? I almost missed it as BBC Three hasn't advertised it that well, but I thought the episode when Stewie and Brian became Disney characters was brilliant. The four eps of seen of this new series has been stronger than those of the last. Sometimes it seems the creators of Family Guy spread themselves too thin, because of having one great show they spread their material out over Family Guy, American Dad (which I've never got into) and the Cleveland Show (which is better than I thought it be)

Moving over to Foreign Comedy.

Family Guy is foreign comedy

Quote: Scott Evans @ May 17 2010, 11:42 AM BST

Agreed.

Quote: Scott Evans @ May 17 2010, 11:42 AM BST

I know, hence why I moved in from General Discussion where this thread was posted, to Foreign Comedy.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've found the last series of Family Guy to be overly crude.

I understand comedy should be cutting edge, but Family Guy seems to rely on nasty content. A recent episode had an ex of Lois' who was living with the family, admit to having sex with Meg. It's not right, and it's not funny.

I think FG has always been very unpleasant. The treatment of Meg in particular is very misogynistic, celebrities are singled out for abuse simply because of their physical appearance and a lot of the gags seem to be put in merely the annoy the "Christian right".
FG always has got away with it in the past due to its comic inventiveness which was sometimes inspired. I have not noticed much of that in the recent episodes and seems to be regurgitating the same old same old. It has followed much the same arc as Little Britain (from an admittedly higher starting point) in mistaking shock tactics for comedy.

Quote: AngieBaby @ June 24 2010, 10:23 PM BST

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've found the last series of Family Guy to be overly crude.

I understand comedy should be cutting edge, but Family Guy seems to rely on nasty content. A recent episode had an ex of Lois' who was living with the family, admit to having sex with Meg. It's not right, and it's not funny.

Are you for real? Utter nonsense. The zeitgeist is always tough - and takes no prisoners with it's skillsets. Did you write a letter to the Daily Heil about it?

Quote: jim field @ June 28 2010, 4:58 PM BST

Are you for real? Utter nonsense. Did you write a letter to the Daily Heil about it?

Rolling eyes

There has been a real drop in quality during the last two or three seasons. Where once it seemed fresh and new, now it just feels tired and sour.

Chippo - you are correct. There are times now where it resembles the Simpsons - a couple of minutes can go by without a single laugh.

MY point was regarding the comment about the perceived 'crudity'.

Quote: jim field @ June 28 2010, 9:31 PM BST

Chippo - you are correct. There are times now where it resembles the Simpsons - a couple of minutes can go by without a single laugh.

If by a couple of minutes you mean 22 then you're spot on.

Quote: jim field @ June 28 2010, 9:31 PM BST

MY point was regarding the comment about the perceived 'crudity'.

It does seem crude and nasty nowadays without any point. Unlike the far superior Southpark, which always has a point. And is funny to boot.

I know it's not. I mean who in their right mind would have sex with Meg?

You would though.

Quote: chipolata @ June 28 2010, 10:07 PM BST

It does seem crude and nasty nowadays without any point. Unlike the far superior Southpark, which always has a point. And is funny to boot.

Yeah FG is getting to the point where it's trying to hard and becoming lazy with it's shock factor which in turn becomes boring.

I remember one episode where Lois was trying to be major and she spent 5 minutes saying 9/11, I'm all for edgey, but I seriously didn't see the point in it, it had no merit whatsoever.