Comedy from overseas - it does exist?

Like hell it does. I live in Italy where Rowan Atkinson is Mr Bean instead of Not the Nine O'clock News, and Benny Hill is considered cutting edge. They finally started to do sitcoms and tried four in the last week and they were all appalling. They couldn't even get 'The Odd couple' right - they did it as revue rather than sitcom acting. God I miss the UK.

Rowan Atkinson is Mr. Bean here as well :( It is hell to convince just about anyone about Blackadder. Everyone just goes - Oh no, that idiot again!
Not the Nine O'clock News was shown here once. Made no impact. Benny Hill, Friends and Keeping Up Appearances is on constant rotation.

The most popular local sitcom is remake/localization of I Love Lucy. Don't get me started...

One Russian national channel (which we can see here) even showed Blackadder under the title "Mr Bean - the Black snake". Jesus.

Lol.

Quote: WrongTale @ April 30, 2007, 1:54 PM

Not the Nine O'clock News was shown here once. Made no impact.

Not surprised to be honest. From what I've seen of it (admittedly not a lot), much is based around the late 70s - early 80s social and political climate in the UK, so it probably wouldn't even get the greatest reception here now.

Quote: WrongTale @ April 30, 2007, 1:54 PM

One Russian national channel (which we can see here) even showed Blackadder under the title "Mr Bean - the Black snake". Jesus.

Criminal.

Yikes!

That's actually quite disturbing.

Not the Nine o'Clock News by it's name was takes on topical things so obviously it seems dated. There were a few good sketches though such as Gerald the Gorilla. (I think that was his name.

"When I took him out of the jungle he was wild."

"Wild? I was livid".

I like my comedy British or British-ish so may be a few comedies from Australia.

So No.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ April 30, 2007, 8:47 PM

I like my comedy British or British-ish so may be a few comedies from Australia.

So No.

I don't think there are any good comedies from here, fortunately with so many British living here (especially in parts of WA) there are many British sitcoms dvd's for sale.

On TV we currently get Goodnight Sweetheart each Saturday evening on ABC and 'classic British comedies' for about 2.5 hours each Saturday night on channel 7 (this consists of episodes of: Some mothers do 'ave 'em, Are you being served?, George & Mildred, Benny Hill, On the buses).

The main sadness is that they don't show 'Only fools & horses' (I haven't noticed and I've been over here since 1989).

What about UKTV? They seem to have an alright lineup?

(At times, anyway.)

Actually, just checked tonight's lineup. Nevermind.

Quote: Aaron @ May 1, 2007, 12:45 PM

What about UKTV? They seem to have an alright lineup?

(At times, anyway.)

Actually, just checked tonight's lineup. Nevermind.

I used to get foxtel with uktv included. But then the value of the foxtel package for the cost went down plus I had a hassle getting foxtel to pick up their machine when I moved house, so I haven't gone back to them. Besides, I am struggling to watch all of the dvd's I have purchased.

Poor you. Goodnight Sweetheart. A good idea for a sitcom but terribly unfunny.

It's not hilarious, but it's not THAT bad!

I still like Kath & Kim though.

Me too.
I really miss it actually. When's it coming back?

That programme was a comedy? Sure it wasn't torture?