Rodney Bewes interview in Daily Mail

The Likely Lads. Image shows from L to R: Terry Collier (James Bolam), Bob Ferris (Rodney Bewes). Copyright: BBC.

The Likely Lads

Bob and Terry are two lads from the North East with contrasting desires and ambitions - except when it comes to chatting up girls

Alfred J Kipper

• Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:19am [Edited]
  • Aldershot, England
  • 5,819 posts

Oh good, does that mean it's going to be shown again then? How one cast member can have the power to stop a show being repeated for decades has made me spew for many a year. Surely they need to put a stop to this insanity.

Tursiops

• Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:46am
  • Welwyn Garden City, England
  • 9,788 posts

James Bolam does indeed seem very up himself. And after New Tricks you would think he would want to have been remembered for once having been in something good.

Aaron

• Sunday 21st February 2010, 1:07am
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,311 posts

I have not yet read the article, but I can tell you that The Likely Lads and/or Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads pop up on G.O.L.D. semi-regularly.

Ben

• Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:17pm
  • England
  • 18,345 posts

Maybe they get paid more if they're on the BBC proper...?

Alfred J Kipper

• Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:32pm
  • Aldershot, England
  • 5,819 posts

I think there may be a set industry rate of royalty for each repeat regardless of what channel it's aired on, although I can't be sure I'm right as the laws may have changed now with all these extra channels around.

But I'm sure I've seen the odd Likey Lads episode on the BBC in the last few years, I know they showed the football score one not THAT long ago, on BBC 2, so has there really been a ban by Bolam or is it just a myth?

Chappers

• Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:55pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,222 posts

Wasn't he just saying they won't get together for an updated version?

Tursiops

• Monday 22nd February 2010, 8:39am
  • Welwyn Garden City, England
  • 9,788 posts
Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 21 2010, 12:32 PM GMT

I think there may be a set industry rate of royalty for each repeat regardless of what channel it's aired on, although I can't be sure I'm right as the laws may have changed now with all these extra channels around.

A few years ago an actor in a well-remembered comedy told me that when the show was repeated on UK Gold it cost him more in requests for signed photographs than he earnt from the repeat fees.

Marc P

• Monday 22nd February 2010, 9:19am [Edited]
  • England
  • 17,698 posts

You get practically bugger all for repeats on Gold.

roscoff

• Monday 22nd February 2010, 11:28am [Edited]
  • Llandenny Usk, Wales
  • 7,978 posts
Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2010, 9:19 AM GMT

You get practically bugger all for repeats on Gold.

Tell them to rename the station as they're obviously contravening the trade descriptions act :)

bigfella

• Monday 22nd February 2010, 12:10pm
  • Elsewear, England
  • 7,972 posts

What is practically bugger all?

john lucas 101

• Monday 22nd February 2010, 1:40pm
  • England
  • 7,098 posts

Fortunately, Mr Bewes appears to have lacked the clout to prevent them from being released on DVD.

Marc P

• Monday 22nd February 2010, 1:53pm
  • England
  • 17,698 posts
Quote: bigfella @ February 22 2010, 12:10 PM GMT

What is practically bugger all?

few quid here and there. :)

youngian

• Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 10:44am
  • England
  • 1,727 posts

"He's ashamed of The Likely Lads because he thinks it's lightweight, because it's comedy and he's such a great actor,' Rodney says, waving a langoustine at me crossly. 'He thinks it might diminish his stunning performance in [BBC drama] New Tricks. Urghh! Don't get me started."

There's a whiff of Harry H Corbett about James Bolam. God knows what he thinks of his performances in Only When I laugh and Andy Capp.

Marc P

• Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 11:12am
  • England
  • 17,698 posts

I liked Only When I laugh