Radio Comedy Scripts

Does anyone have a good example of how a sketch show for radio should be laid out. I've downloaded the BBC format from the Writers Room but it's not that good and doesn't explain a lot.

For example, do you start each new sketch on a new page? How do you show that you want music playing throughout the sketch? etc etc.

Help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

When I did mine I didn't bother starting a new sketch on a new page because It would have taken up too many pages. In the end it was 40 pages (half hour).

Use the Grams button on scriptsmart to do music or write Grams_______

Martin

Download scriptsmart off BBC Writersroom website.

This has most formats that you're likely to need and indeed has a specific radio sketch template.

Music has a GRAMS button and sound effects has an FX button.

It's not entirely intuitive but it's easily picked up and a few hours messing about with it will have you up and running perfectly well and ready for pro quality submissions.

It's free and I have had no adverse comments from anybody that I've submitted stuff to using this.

I reckon it's very good and a cost effective alternative to something fairly pricey like Final Draft.

Scriptsmart doesnt work for me, cos I dont have Word.

Ahh! Mmm! You have me there then I'm afraid. You need the aid of....COMPUTERMAN

Martin, a script goes like this

SCENE 1 (underlined, capitals, 6cms in)

ACTION (underlined, capitals, 6cms in)

Name: (caps,next to margin) Dialogue (not underlined, no caps, 5cms from margin)

F/X____________________sound effects (all underlined, bold type)

GRAMS__________________music (all underlined, bold type)

Hope that helps.

I'd also definitely start a new sketch on a new page.

Each new item has to start on a new page. They're not all bound to work and it's easier and quicker just to rip out a page and throw it away. I would caution against a music bed on a radio programme because it can interfere with the listeners' concentration. It's the old 'don't move on the tag' advice.

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't want music all over it, just in one sketch I want some corny advert style music playing in the background, but I didn't know how to write that down in the script.

A new sketch on a new page will take up lots of pages won't it for a 30 minute show. How many pages is the average radio sketch show script?

As many as is needed. Honestly, producers aren't put off (or turned on)by how many pages there are. They'll want each sketch presented seperately though. As long as you time everything through and it's runs at approx 28 mins (I think) for a half hour show you'll be fine.

To show the music you want put something like

GRAMS_________________corny advert them throughout (under)

It will be a lot of pages but say there are 60 pages when you're going to the studio. Not every actor will be in every sketch so a dozen pages bite the dust; they won't like everything so there's another dozen gone. And if they need you to rewrite then you change the appropriate page and don't have to worry about the next sketch or the one before. If there's one thing producers have got it's plenty of paper, don't worry about that. Think of a page being equal to half a minute, including the half empty pages.

Okay, thanks chaps.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ April 24, 2007, 10:39 PM

Scriptsmart doesnt work for me, cos I dont have Word.

There is a free template which works with most word processors. If anyone wants a copy email me and I will dig out the file and mail it to you. Please put in the subject header 'Free Template'.

It also has tips on synosis writing and otehr bits and pieces the BBC template doesn't provide.

Scriptsmart is OK, and certainly has the 'free' thing going for it. I would say if you get serious about writing then definitely consider Final Draft.

It's a serious productivity booster that allows you to concentrate on the writing and not the formatting. Plus it means I have to use Word less which as a writer makes me happy!

Wow! I've just taken a look at that. It looks great, but it's pretty expensive! :O