Big 5 Comedy Award Page 2

Quote: funnyfnarr @ February 6 2010, 3:19 PM GMT

I absolutley love surreal and its something that comes naturally to me as a writer.

But I really must go and do some writing. Thanks for the link Morrace. Wave

Love surreal also (I am) - and thanks for the 'Thanks for the link', Mr Funnyfnarr.

Don't think there's any point me entering this now. :( Shame, I'd written something decent as well.

I've started on my script. Pleased

Not a woman
Not black
Not asian
Not disabled
Not 'transitional' as I have to send in scripts with the thousands of other white/black/asian/women/disabled/transitional writers sending stuff in.
Not working but will get be in a temp job very soon - like pretty much anyone who tries for a temp job, qualified or UNqualified.

Oh well, I guess my time will come one day - After all... I'm clearly advantaged in that I'm a white male and everything clearly come so easy to me.

Maybe not a popular post but I bet I'm not the only one thinking it.

Can I just speak up in defence of the advantaged. It's all well and good giving the disadvantaged a break but what I'd really like to see is some more privileged folk being given a chance.

Imagine a sitcom starring Adam Buxton*, Iain Lee**, Daisy Haggard***, Simon Farnaby ****, made by Iain Morris *****'s company, directed by Tristram Shapeero****** and written by high flying ad-exec Jonathan Thake*******. Now that would be a winner.

* Westminster School, leading independent
** Sir William Herschel Grammar, selective grammar school
*** James Allen Girls School, independent
**** Webber Douglas & National Youth Theatre (probably not actually privileged)
***** Independent school (name tbc)
****** Michael Hall Steiner School
******* School unknown

Yes, it's the old unite the world by constantly pointing out our differences scheme. Very good. Well done. Equality for all.

Dear Big 5,

In order to enter this award I have just had both my right arm and left leg removed.....However, although I am now registered disabled it hurts like buggery and doesn't seem to have improved my comedy writing one bit.Please advise???

P.S.
Congratulations for describing AAAALLL women as disadvantaged. At last the 'women are equal to men' pendulum has begun to swing in the opposite direction. I would salute your brave stance but what with the arm situation etc???

Freddie Gagtella

Quote: freddie gagtella @ February 8 2010, 7:10 AM GMT

Congratulations for describing AAAALLL women as disadvantaged.

This is open to any one from who is disadvantaged and/or from under-represented groups in film and TV. No one said women were disadvantaged but woefully under-represented - as Norma says only 8% of stuff produced is written by women.

If you're an able-bodied middle-class white man I wouldn't worry about missing out on this opportunity; it seems you've got a very good chance on getting on writing for TV and film as it is. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 8 2010, 8:15 AM GMT

This is open to any one from who is disadvantaged and/or from under-represented groups in film and TV. No one said women were disadvantaged but woefully under-represented - as Norma says only 8% of stuff produced is written by women.

If you're an able-bodied middle-class white man I wouldn't worry about missing out on this opportunity; it seems you've got a very good chance on getting on writing for TV and film as it is. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Jeez one opportunity comes along where for once it doesn't include white middle class men and you'd think the world of comedy is coming to an end. Rolling eyes

Quote: funnyfnarr @ February 8 2010, 8:35 AM GMT

I couldn't have said it better myself. Jeez one opportunity comes along where for once it doesn't include white middle class men and you'd think the world of comedy is coming to an end. Rolling eyes

Why not test your theory by having an opportunity closed to black contributors?

Quote: freddie gagtella @ February 8 2010, 11:17 AM GMT

Why not test your theory by having an opportunity closed to black contributors?

I don't think you understand ther point of having such selection criteria. It's to give those who are clearly under-represented or disadvantaged a chance for once.

I really don't see what the fuss is, most people on here will fall into one (or more) of the following on the form.

- Diversity Criteria
- Disadvantage Criteria
- Transitional Talent

And if you don't, then in terms of writing, you're probably doing well already.

Quote: Kev F @ February 7 2010, 10:57 AM GMT

what I'd really like to see is some more privileged folk being given a chance.

Iain Lee**,

** Sir William Herschel Grammar, selective grammar school

You certainly don't have to come from a privileged background to go to a grammar school.

Quote: Splodge @ February 8 2010, 11:33 AM GMT

I really don't see what the fuss is, most people on here will fall into one (or more) of the following on the form.

- Diversity Criteria
- Disadvantage Criteria
- Transitional Talent

Yep.

Quote: Splodge @ February 8 2010, 11:33 AM GMT

- Diversity Criteria
- Disadvantage Criteria
- Transitional Talent

Couldn't have put it better myself.

That seems to happen to me a lot around here. (Not being able to put it better myself.) :D

If you're an able-bodied middle-class white man I wouldn't worry about missing out on this opportunity; it seems you've got a very good chance on getting on writing for TV and film as it is

I don't agree with that.

The comedy scene should be about being funny. I know many accountants... many of whom are white and none of them could ever get a spot writing/performing comedy because they are simply NOT funny.

There isn't any difference between the abilities of white/black/asian/disabled/women.
So why do they make it an issue? ....(still agree by Christopher Hitchens views on though)

Will the BBC discriminate when reading something that they receive to their writers room? Yes.... they'll discriminate against scripts that aren't funny.

Should that not be enough?