The average BCGer? Page 3

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2009, 9:36 PM GMT

What do you mean, not a proper one?

Judging by your posts on the Big Top snobs thread, I had you down as a psychologist.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 18 2009, 12:16 AM GMT

Judging by your posts on the Big Top snobs thread, I had you down as a psychologist.

I think you mean Timbo on that score.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 18 2009, 12:32 AM GMT

I think you mean Timbo on that score.

Nope.

As regards the personality of bitter/non-bitter/spiteful/lovely writers on here (or indeed any other forum). This point has been made ad infinitum elsewhere on this site over the years, but I would hope people realise that the nature of this medium (the internet) means that everyone is, to greater or lesser degrees, putting on some sort of "character" when they post. This is not even really a conscious thing to do, it's just the nature of having a debate/conversation with only text as one's means of expression. (Oh, plus emoticons, which are subjective to say the least.)

Whether one posts under one's real name or a pseudonym, as one's comments are there in print, there is a greater awareness of the fact that they will be scruntinised. The subconscious temptation to "spin" one's personality is almost unavoidable. This "acting" is likely to be even more accentuated on a site which is meant (mostly) to be about comedy - the stakes are raised to try and say something relatively amusing/interesting/unusual. This can lead to remarks becoming occasionally more polarised/extreme in order to achieve an effect.

It doesn't sound like anything I would say. Unimpressed Anyway, it's meant to be ironic. Probably. Or something...

I couldn't just say, "Oh it's only people f**king breaking balls, get over it. BBC!", could I?

16 The average BCGer loves the BBC but like a sad eyed typist in a vast typing pool. Who knows her boss is a wanker and only she can save him.

17 There is a statistically insignificant number of Canadian BCGers but they are enthusiastic.

18 All BCGers like Old Who and most like New Who.

BCGer One: We're all individuals.

BDGer Two: I'm not.

Does that help Soots?

:)

I think the average BCGer is probably non-racist in the sense that he/she isn't an active member of the BNP or KKK.

However, given the choice between our children marrying within our own race or outside it, I suspect more than a few might feel other than indifferently about the matter.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 17 2009, 10:54 PM GMT

\0/ Woot! Woot! I score 9 out of 10!

Which one doesn't apply to you? Your job?

To my relief I am by no means an average BCGer. :)

It also seems that if the average BCGer isn't single, they met a partner via the site and/or their partner is a poster too.

You have got me on the first seven. However, you are pretty far off on the final three. I am not an atheist, and am instead a devout Christian. I do not believe in any eccentric theories and I AM a non racist, however, I do not see political correctness as a bad thing.

Quote: IT David @ December 18 2009, 8:50 AM GMT

I am . . . a devout Christian. I do not believe in any eccentric theories.

That's made my day.

Quote: sootyj @ December 17 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

So

1 Male - nope I'm female.
2 25-45 - I'm only 24
3 An anonymous job in IT or something else with a PC. - Office Manager in a COOL company, so no.
4 Probably writes comedy - nope, not at all. Did try at some point though.
5 Politically conservative but doesn't belong to a party. - Yes.
6 Loves puns - Yes.
7 Is a junk food snob. - Yes.
8 Is an agnostic or atheist. No.
9 Probably believes in one eccentric theory - Yes.... something to do with the moon.
10 Non racist but has a deep dislike of PC that could border on prejudice. - Yes.

5 out of 10...

Conversely, pretty much spot-on. I'm getting more conservative as I get older, but think that's only natural!

9's completely wrong though. The 'everyone has two stomachs: however much you eat there is a separate place for pudding' is not eccentric in any way, I feel...

Dan

Quote: sootyj @ December 17 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

So what's the average BCGer like? Can perusing the threads give one a picture of the average BCG afficionado? Stuff anything as boring as a survey here's Sootyj's opinion.

1 Male
2 25-45
3 An anonymous job in IT or something else with a PC.
4 Probably writes comedy
5 Politically conservative but doesn't belong to a party.
6 Loves puns
7 Is a junk food snob.
8 Is an agnostic or atheist.
9 Probably believes in one eccentric theory
10 Non racist but has a deep dislike of PC that could border on prejudice.

1. ALL male.
2. In a good light.
3. I have a PC on my desk but I have always suspected that there is a magic imp inside.
4. Probably it is comedy.
5. The older I get the more right wing I become on social policy, and the more left wing on economic policy.
6. It is more of an abusive relationship.
7. I have to be rat-arsed to touch the stuff, but even then I draw the line at MacDonalds.
8. I am not sure if I am agnostic or not.
9. There is nothing eccentric in believing that they didn't really put the a man on the moon. And that the Pope is a penguin.
10. PC bastards - if I want to wear a white sheet and plant a burning cross on my front lawn it is no-one's business but mine.

Quote: sootyj @ December 18 2009, 7:18 AM GMT

18 All BCGers like Old Who and most like New Who.

Kenny Jones was never an adequate replacement for Keith Moon.

Quote: Timbo @ December 18 2009, 9:57 AM GMT

Kenny Jones was never an adequate replacement for Keith Moon.

I met Kenny Jones once, whilst I was working in Guildford and his son was brought in after a car crash. He was very short, but looked like you'd expect an ageing rock star to look. Which was nice. (I was careful not to compound his worry about his son by mentioning his inadequacies when compared with Moon.) :)