'Canned Laughter' Page 3

Quote: David Baddiel @ November 30 2009, 9:52 AM GMT

Dear Jim. I have never introduced myself as "Dave" in my entire career. DB

If that is you Dave, could you explain your tankingly awful apearance on The Jonathan Ross Show? It was cringeworthy.

What does your friend produce jim?

Quote: Marc P @ November 30 2009, 11:08 AM GMT

Endorphins.

I am nothing if not an innovator and, having seen how canned laughter serves to manipulate an otherwise rational TV audience into thinking something is funny when it obviously isn't, I am delighted to be able to inform everyone that I have taken the art of canning several stages further by introducing 'canned ecstasy' into my marital activities.

It works like this:

I've made a CD compilation of various 'Oooohs' and 'Aaaaahs' from several adult video websites and, armed with a remote control, I am able to play them as and when appropriate through the stereo speakers in the bedroom.

It's a marvellous idea as, not only does it makes the neighbours think I'm significantly more competent at the old bedroom malarkey than I actually am, it also tells Mrs Ming which aspects of my lovemaking I think are especially impressive and it encourages her to respond accordingly albeit in her own very much quieter fashion.

The only problem is that some of the CD's louder gasps and screams can occasionally cover the sound of the bedroom door opening and the kids coming in to ask what's going on.

Mrs Ming doesn't like that at all.

I don't know why, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is actually the real David Baddiel.

Quote: Marc P @ November 30 2009, 11:08 AM GMT

Clearly, I am not going to say on here - I hardly think that's fair to him. He's been working for just over ten years and has been involved in two 'credible' shows, and also, unfortunately, three or four less emphatic (critically speaking) shows.

Well it wouldnt be fair given the quote you attributed to him on here to name him. But what I wondered was - is he a sitcom producer?

Yes, Marc, that was my thought procedure. Yeah, the four projects I mentioned were sitcom, not all BBC, but he has done the rounds in terms of staff jobs on other shows. Our careers have followed similarly accelerated paths, albeit in different industries.

Is he a single camera kind of producer then, is this why he thought Miranda was dumbing down or was that someone else?

Quote: Marc P @ November 30 2009, 3:14 PM GMT

Is he a single camera kind of producer then, is this why he thought Miranda was dumbing down or was that someone else?

His aesthetic is definitely more towards realism and the like, but that is not to say he hasn't worked on 'shit'. Funnily enough, we were talking about canned laughter a while back and his Idea was to re-introduce it on a kind of grotesque, hyper-real level; this was actually being developed for a pilot that was unfortunately never made.

Times change things come in and out of vogue. It's usually best to keep an open mind about things. Especially if you are freelance.

James Serafinowicz?

Even if this isn't "the" David Baddiel, then I'd still have to agree with him. I've never heard any David Baddiel refer to himself as "Dave". Frank Skinner used to call him "Dave", but not (interestingly or not) Rob(ert) Newman. Errr

Quote: don rushmore @ November 30 2009, 1:42 PM GMT

I don't know why, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is actually the real David Baddiel.

The clue's in the name. Smarmy

Quote: jim field @ November 30 2009, 3:07 PM GMT

Our careers have followed similarly accelerated paths, albeit in different industries.

Quote: jim field @ November 30 2009, 2:52 PM GMT

He's been working for just over ten years and has been involved in two 'credible' shows

DIY SOS and Rogue Traders.

Anyway. I don't even notice studio laughter unless it's extremely loud or awful in sound quality (again, see School Of Comedy's distorted, tinny laughter track). Can people not mentally tune it out?

I am, however, quite aware of where it should be, but isn't: Lunch Monkeys was stylistically more suited to being recorded in front of a studio audience, for example.

Quote: Morrace @ November 30 2009, 3:33 PM GMT

Ah Morrace, you are cruel.

(Continue.)