Fawlty Towers - the other episode?

I've heard that there might have been another Fawlty Tower's episode that was never shown. Called 'The Robbers' or 'The burglars' or something. There is a rumour that this might exist on tape but only as 'rehersal standard' or something. Does anyone know anything more about this?

There's been myths about it for years, but that's all they are according to John Cleese and the BBC and anyone else involved in the show when it comes up.

It doesn't exist.

Unless they've got it stashed away for the rainy day 40th/50th Anniversay of F.T. DVD re-re-re-release, of course.

Lmao can't see it somehow lols, but they would need something to push yet another box set. I got mine a few months back for £14 and that will do me very nicely.

I've heard about this tape. Apparently once you've watched it, Sybil phones you and tells you that you have one week to put the Moose's head up on the wall and then 7 days later Basil crawls through your television and beats you to death with a branch before panicking and trying to hide your corpse in a laundry basket before the hotel inspector arrives.

Oooooh sounds like fun. Let's watch.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 27 2009, 9:35 AM GMT

'The Robbers' or 'The burglars' or something.

...was a production title at some point, I believe; hence the confusion.

As David said, there's been rumours of a 'lost' episode pretty much ever since series 2 ended. There has never been anything to suggest that there's any truth to it; repeated books have been researched with nothing coming to light, and both Cleese and Booth have stated that there is no other episode. Cleese has said a few times that he started making notes on a possible movie version, but nothing beyond vague plotlines; certainly not anything resembling a script.

I recall that when Fawlty Tower was originally transmitted, there was a week when something else was on at it's usual time. Before the replacement programme started there was a trailer of John Cleese as Basil Fawlty behind the counter of the hotel, saying something along the lines of "Come back next week if you want to see Fawlty Towers".

Did the possible missing episode evolve from this extra piece of film?

http://tinyurl.com/ygjzmgx

"The Robbers
Lars Holger Holm, writer of Fawlty Towers: A Worshipper's Companion, dedicates a whole chapter of this invaluable book to tell his story of how he was fortunate enough to watch a finished thirteenth episode called "The Robbers". Apparently, a former BBC employee allowed Lars to view the complete episode at his flat [an apartment] one night in London. After viewing the whole episode (said to be 45 minutes long), once everyone was crashed out in a drunken stupor, the resourceful Lars ran the entire script through the copy facility on a fax machine and reproduces the script in his book! The episode was scheduled to be broadcast on January 9, 1980 but never made it on air."

So the script is in this book? That would be worth a look. I'll have to see if the library have it.

Cool - I know noooooooooooooothing.

This is the BBC we're on about lols not MI5 haha.

If it did exist, with the state of the BBC now they'd have milked that cash cow for all it's worth well before now.

There's no chance that whatever is in his book is genuine. It'd have to have been licensed by the BBC, and I see no indication of that.