Viz Comic Page 22

Early 90s and I used to like the spoof stories and adverts more than the cartoons but Biffa and Spoilt Bastard were funny. More recently my favourite is Major Misunderstanding and the cartoons are usually half a page. Nothing worse than a double pager cartoon that ends without a punchline and that seems be more common now.

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd March 2024, 9:15 PM

I started buying it in about 1987 I think

My faves would have been Johnny Fartpants, Finbar Saunders

And that dude with the "infeasibly large testicles"

Oh and Sid the sexist of course!

And Mr Logic was f**king hysterical

I used to draw pictures of him in my school books

Morris Day: Sexual Pervert was one of my favourites, but didn't seem to appear often. Most memorable story was when he wanted to buy a watermelon to use as a sex toy - the shopkeeper says they're out of season, but you can have a tin of pineapple chunks, to which Morris says "do you seriously expect me to stick my cock into that? I'll tear it to ribbons!" and the shopkeeper understandably looks a bit shocked...

I used to draw Roger Mellie in school books! And I had a 'Roger Says Bollocks' T-shirt. I remember there was a cartoon late at night with Peter Cook doing the voice of Roger Mellie and Harry Enfield doing Tom and the other characters.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 2nd March 2024, 10:26 PM

Early 90s and I used to like the spoof stories and adverts more than the cartoons but Biffa and Spoilt Bastard were funny. More recently my favourite is Major Misunderstanding and the cartoons are usually half a page. Nothing worse than a double pager cartoon that ends without a punchline and that seems be more common now.

Ah yes, the adverts, Top Tips and letters pages were often funnier than the cartoons! Certainly the case with the latest Viz annual 'The Barber's Pole'.

Quote: a plate @ 2nd March 2024, 10:29 PM

Morris Day: Sexual Pervert was one of my favourites, but didn't seem to appear often. Most memorable story was when he wanted to buy a watermelon to use as a sex toy - the shopkeeper says they're out of season, but you can have a tin of pineapple chunks, to which Morris says "do you seriously expect me to stick my cock into that? I'll tear it to ribbons!" and the shopkeeper understandably looks a bit shocked...

I used to draw Roger Mellie in school books! And I had a 'Roger Says Bollocks' T-shirt. I remember there was a cartoon late at night with Peter Cook doing the voice of Roger Mellie and Harry Enfield doing Tom and the other characters.

Ah yes, the adverts, Top Tips and letters pages were often funnier than the cartoons! Certainly the case with the latest Viz annual 'The Barber's Pole'.

There was a time when the tip tips and letters were mostly written by Viz staff and readers didn't mind because they were funny and would have several letters on the same topic...."To reply to the letter above by Mr Cockring etc..." but as more and more of them are by readers and there doesn't seem to be any quality control anymore some of them are terrible to the point of being an insult to the memory of the Viz heyday. I had a top tip printed once and saw it online but never bought the physical copy. It was around 2005 and I think the name I used was Jeremy Dolphin. At the time there was a great game on the website where you had to get as many people on to the same bed as the Fat Slags as possible to do their thing before the bed collapses :D It was like Ker-Plunk Fat Slags style.

I'm different to most of the posters in that I've always preferred the cartoon strips to the spoof letters and news stories pages, but noticed the quality of strip has become very poor, in general, and I hate the computer generated ones which show zero drawing craft.

In the writing, the humour has stagnated on many strips, seemingly obsessed with base toilet humour, instead of the more satirical takes on contemporary events it was once noted for. Appears to me to be the fault of cronyistic clinging onto mates instead of looking around for sharper pens and pencils.

The Fat Slags from years ago:
Both in a rowing boat on a lake
A handsome man walks by.
Tracie; He's really dishy
Sandra; My twat is getting wet
Tracie; I know, he's gorgeous
Sandra; Not Him, were f**king sinking.

🤣🤣🤣

😁 Excellent. That strip did have one of the higher punchline rates. I remember buying Viz when Life On Mars hit the TV screens - The Fat Slags took up the whole front page with the header - Life On Mars Bars. 🙂

Viz was phenomenally good, it looked to me like they were mocking student rags, at a time student rags were just pumping out old jokes from down the pub. Ironically, they borrowed some ideas from the National Lampoons, which began 9 years earlier from a student rag doing things very differently (especially their art work). But both seemed to be putting two (or one) finger(s) up at the established editorial rules, and that would be tricky these days, given how folk like a target to shoot down or sue.

🤣

Real Ale Twats is always worth a read. The best one is when he orders a pint at the bar while someone is painting a sign next to him and he accidentally drinks from a tin of paint.

https://archive.org/details/vizuk026octobernovember1987/Viz%20UK%20001%20-%20December%201979/mode/1up

https://archive.org/details/viz-uk-049-august-september-1991

(Swipe UP to scroll through the pages)

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd March 2024, 11:47 PM

https://archive.org/details/vizuk026octobernovember1987/Viz%20UK%20001%20-%20December%201979/mode/1up

https://archive.org/details/viz-uk-049-august-september-1991

(Swipe UP to scroll through the pages)

Wow! All high quality scans and pages can be saved in jpg format. This is going to keep me very busy. Thanks!

Yeah good work Lofty. Briefly dipped into a very early one and was amazed to see Big Vern, although not quite as well drawn as he became. I always thought that was a spoof of Vinnie Jones's film roles but it obviously couldn't have been. A few others older than I thought as well.

Literally first thing that came up on Google!

I downloaded all the .PDF docs last night and am going to copy them to a USB dongle for a mate's birthday this week. A quick look over the website and it looks legit and not violating any copyright restrictions. I need to make doubly sure of that before I give them to my mate, Chief Inspector Grobelaar.

Edit: I've checked out how archive.org works and copying them to go give to my friend would definitely not be wise as that could be a breach of copyright and he wouldn't appreciate it and give me a good drubbing. I'll whatsapp him the links to the archive instead.

Is the following from a Viz comic?

A duo of stereotypically racist depictions of Asian men, one roundly fat and the other thinly tall. They wear pinstriped suits and bowler hats with umbrellas. They experience mishaps. Their names are something racist like Yin and Yang.

Ring any bells? (What do you think we are, monks?)