David Mitchell's Memoir and Novel

HarperCollins has acquired a memoir and novel from "Peep Show" com­edian David Mitchell for a "very significant sum".

World rights for the memoir were bought by ­Carole Tonkinson, pub­lisher of Harper Non-Fiction and Hannah Black, Harper Non-Fiction publishing director. The novel was bought by Nicholas Pearson of Fourth Estate. Both books were acquired from Ivan Mulcahy of Mulcahy Conway Associates. They will be published in 2012 and 2013 respectively.

Black said: "David Mitchell has always made me laugh, and in everything he does there's a care for
language which is for me the mark of a natural-born writer." Pearson added: "I am delighted to be working with David on what I feel sure will be the start of a successful career as a novelist."

Tonkinson said Mitchell's profile had reached "a massive pitch" after appearances on BBC2's "Who Do You Think You Are?" and Channel 4's "Peep Show". "We see him as the next generation Stephen Fry. He has intelligence, understated humour and people just love him," she said, adding: "I think his humour translates around the world. Ricky Gervais and Russell Brand are increasingly popular in the US and Australia. I don't see why David should be any different."

Mitchell said: "I'm looking forward to working with the brilliant team at HarperCollins and Fourth Estate, who are apparently impressed by my neurotic world-view. There's a saying that everyone's got a book in them. Assuming that's a mean, I will be reducing some poor sod to zero, but then that's nothing to Barbara Cartland, who made hundreds voiceless."

Fourth Estate has just published This Mitchell and Webb Book, a collection of comic writing from Mitchell and his comedy partner Robert Webb. A second Mitchell and Webb title is lined up for Christmas 2010.

Story from The Bookseller

I wonder if he will reveal the truth behind his identical twin that helps him do all these things and the fallout they had when his twin lost a lot of weight to put the real David out of work for a bit.

Hope my cash flow will have changed direction by then.

Why don't comedians (or celebrities in general, for that matter) wait until they've lived a full life, a full career and learned something approaching insight before they bring out a book?

Obviously money is a factor, but it also says something about the very short-termist nature of fame thesedays. It's true enough to say that famous comedians don't have the same shelf life as, say, famous actors, but I'm slightly disappointed that David would wish to write a "memoir" at this stage in his life.

He should focus his energies over the next few years on writing some great TV/radio/film comedy, not writing a book. A novel, I suppose, would be a different prospect. But I liked the old system where, whomever you were, you wrote the novel you felt you had to write and then tried to sell it. Publishers are partly to blame for their own decline due to the "star f**king" way they behave thesedays.

I'm probably just incredibly old-fashioned and pissing in the wind, but there you are.

I'm worried about people confusing David Mitchell the comedian with David Mitchell the already established novelist.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 14 2009, 11:34 AM BST

I'm worried about people confusing David Mitchell the comedian with David Mitchell the already established novelist.

Who? Huh?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 14 2009, 11:40 AM BST

Who? Huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mitchell_(author)

Yes, it seems odd not to have written a novel first. I think the big grocers sell trolleyloads of celebrity 'books'. Something to do with that probably.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 14 2009, 11:34 AM BST

I expect the other David Mitchell is rubbing his hands in glee at the prospect, but there are going to be some disappointed comedy fans finding Cloud Atlas in their Christmas stocking.

Quote: Timbo @ October 14 2009, 12:36 PM BST

I expect the other David Mitchell is rubbing his hands in glee at the prospect, but there are going to be some disappointed comedy fans finding Cloud Atlas in their Christmas stocking.

That book mentally fatigued me. It was very good, but I've never felt so tired after reading anything!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 14 2009, 12:51 PM BST

That book mentally fatigued me. It was very good, but I've never felt so tired after reading anything!

Dan

Reminds me of when I was given a dictionary. Far too many characters and it took forever to just get from A to B.