Self Checkout Machine

A new take on an old joke:

-------------------------

INT. SUPERMARKET. DAY

A MAN WALKS ALONG PAST BUSY CHECKOUTS WITH A FULL BASKET. HE PASSES AN EMPTY SELF CHECKOUT AND STOPS TO LOOK AT IT. HE WALKS TO IT AND PLACES HIS BASKET ON THE SIDE OF THE MACHINE

SELF CHECKOUT MACHINE:
Beep. Welcome to the self checkout service.

THE MAN PICKS AN ITEM FROM HIS BAG. IT IS A SMALL PACKET OF DRIED SPAGHETTI. HE SCANS IT AND BAGS IT

SCM:
Beep. Packet of spaghetti. For one. Loner.

THE MAN STOPS, LOOKING PUZZLED. HE REACHES INTO HIS BASKET AND PULLS OUT SOME HAND SOAP. HE SCANS AND BAGS

SCM:
Beep. Lavender hand soap. Poof.

THE MAN LOOKS AROUND NERVOUSLY TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS HEARD. HE PULLS AN OK MAGAZINE FROM HIS BAG AND IS ABOUT TO SCAN IT. SOMEONE WALKS PAST AND HE STOPS, WATCHING THEM AS THEY PASS. ONCE THEY HAVE GONE, HE SCANS IT QUICKLY AND PUTS IT IN HIS BAG

SCM:
Beep. Oh my god. OK magazine? What next? Anal lube?

THE MAN HAS SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT SCANNING THE TUB OF VASELINE HE HAS JUST RETRIEVED FROM THE BASKET AND LEAVES IT ON THE SIDE. INSTEAD HE PICKS OUT THE NEXT ITEM, A DVD OF SAW THREE

SCM:
Beep. Scary film.

THE MAN LOOKS PLEASE WITH HIMSELF, BAGS IT, AND REACHES FOR THE NEXT ITEM. THE MACHINE INTERRUPTS HIM

SCM:
It's alright though. You can just cuddle up behind a pillow with your boyfriend.

THE MAN GETS FRUSTRATED AND 'SHUSHES' THE MACHINE EXAGGERATEDLY. AFTER A PAUSE HE REACHES FOR THE NEXT ITEM. ITS A PACKET OF POLO MINTS. THE MAN SCANS THEM APPREHENSIVELY.

SCM:
Beep. Polo mints. Breath stink does it? Smell of nob does it? I don't think your boyfriend is going to want to kiss you if you smell of nob is he? Bender, bender, you like it in your rear end-er...

THE MAN LOOSES HIS PATIENCE AND KICKS THE MACHINE, THEN WALKS OFF STAMPING HIS FEET

SCM:
Yeah, walk away you poofter, go cry in your car. You look like a dogs butt-hole!

PULL BACK TO REVEAL SIGN ON MACHINE SAYING, 'SELF CHECKOUT MACHINE OUT OF ORDER'

Very good build, particularly liked the vaseline gag, but I felt a bit let down by the punch I'm afraid. Maybe he could walk off with his boyfriend or something? I don't know but I feel it needs a stronger finish.

EDIT: I also want to echo what Godot is about to say about subtlety. Particularly the anal lube line stuck out to me when I was reading it but seemed to have slipped my mind when it came to typing it up.

It's a good idea, but the language let it down for me. 'Anal lube?' There isn't any such product. Why not say 'tube of vaseline and a courgette' - these things exist. I think it needs more subtlety.

I agree with Godot. You over-egged the pudding with the bash over the head with a cricket bat subtlety of what the machine was saying. But it was funny and will no doubt be improved by changing some of the things the checkout says. All in all a nice idea.
*Thumbs up*

Thanks guys, will edit soon with your suggestions in mind :)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 15 2009, 1:17 AM BST

It's a good idea, but the language let it down for me. 'Anal lube?' There isn't any such product. Why not say 'tube of vaseline and a courgette' - these things exist. I think it needs more subtlety.

Since when does 'anal lube' not exist, it so does?

Also don't say tube of Vaseline firstly because Vaseline doesn't come in tube it comes in tiny tins or tubs and also the courgette bit = not funny.

Ooh about the script I like it it's good as a little sketch!

Needs to be cleverer. It should be possible to make the machine 'out of order' without making it crudely homophobic. "The loner" with a sad life is the vein you should have stuck to. Though on the detail I am not sure I have ever seen a packet of spaghetti for one - doesn't it always come in 500g packs? I am unqualified to contribute to the anal lube debate.

Agree with Timbo entirely, the homophobic tone of this sketch dates it by about 30yrs.

I would have gone with 'Meal for one, loser' instead of spagetti and loner.

That said I don't think that the sketch is a non starter, it just needs re-thinking a little :)

Quote: jonikversal @ September 15 2009, 10:46 AM BST

Since when does 'anal lube' not exist, it so does?

Also don't say tube of Vaseline firstly because Vaseline doesn't come in tube it comes in tiny tins or tubs and also the courgette bit = not funny.

Ooh about the script I like it it's good as a little sketch!

It so doesn't. There is no product called 'anal lube.'

Vaseline comes in tins, tubes and jars. It would not matter if it only came in gourds marked: 'for c**ts' - the point was to make the shopping order up of real products.

I apologise that the reference to a courgette did not make you laugh. It was used for the same reason as 'vaseline'. Perhaps you will get over it.

Mmmm... reminded me a bit too much of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwICWVPmKc (00:26 sec mark) a sort of automated Caroline Aherne

Quote: KJSmyling @ September 16 2009, 1:28 AM BST

Mmmm... reminded me a bit too much of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwICWVPmKc (00:26 sec mark) a sort of automated Caroline Aherne

Ditto Smyling. It's too similar to the Fast Show sketch to work in any guise for me. Not that it isn't a good idea.
(And I note you did say it is "a new take on an old joke")

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 16 2009, 12:08 AM BST

It so doesn't. There is no product called 'anal lube.'

Vaseline comes in tins, tubes and jars. It would not matter if it only came in gourds marked: 'for c**ts' - the point was to make the shopping order up of real products.

I apologise that the reference to a courgette did not make you laugh. It was used for the same reason as 'vaseline'. Perhaps you will get over it.

I think you'll find there is such a product called anal lube, image below -

http://www.kinky-studio.com/sexshop/lotions/creams/anallube.jpg

Google it if you require further evidence.

The tubed Vaseline you refer to is the stuff which is the hand lotion, nail cream etc that holds the named brand 'Vaseline' on the tube, I'm sure this technically could be used as a lubricant but not really for the purposes of a joke as this would require the tub/tinned variety. As such the courgette joke doesn't work unless you're moisturising vegetables.

So the point you're making about products coming up that are real would work as an argument if you yourself used products that are indeed...real for the purposes of what you were intending.

I also, like yourself it seems, don't like it when comedies reference things incorrectly for jokes, it's a cop out annoying and a cheap joke,but if you're gonna have a go at someone for it at least check yourself first.

p.s I'm expecting and waiting for the..."I'm sorry for not being an expert in anal lube you you seem to be"... Just to let you know I'm already laughing out loud in anticipation... :|

Quote: jonikversal @ September 17 2009, 12:42 AM BST

I think you'll find there is such a product called anal lube, image below -

http://www.kinky-studio.com/sexshop/lotions/creams/anallube.jpg

Google it if you require further evidence.

I stand corrected. There is actually a product called anal lube. I doubt that you can buy it in supermarkets however.

The tubed Vaseline you refer to is the stuff which is the hand lotion, nail cream etc that holds the named brand 'Vaseline' on the tube, I'm sure this technically could be used as a lubricant but not really for the purposes of a joke as this would require the tub/tinned variety. As such the courgette joke doesn't work unless you're moisturising vegetables.

LOL. I mean Christ. The point is that 'vaseline' is a brand name and a lubricant and people know that.

p.s I'm expecting and waiting for the..."I'm sorry for not being an expert in anal lube you you seem to be"... Just to let you know I'm already laughing out loud in anticipation... :|

Surely giggling, rather than laughing. That's twice in one post you've given yourself the feed AND the punchline. Your humour's a bit like the Jolly Green Giant pushing a wheelbarrow full of shit. You can see it coming from a long way away and when it arrives nobody's laughing.

I think a sketch on the JGG with a wheelbarrow of shitty but mosturised vegetables might be the what Joe public is waiting for and the mases could then rejoice.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 17 2009, 5:13 PM BST

I stand corrected. There is actually a product called anal lube. I doubt that you can buy it in supermarkets however.

LOL. I mean Christ. The point is that 'vaseline' is a brand name and a lubricant and people know that.

Surely giggling, rather than laughing. That's twice in one post you've given yourself the feed AND the punchline. Your humour's a bit like the Jolly Green Giant pushing a wheelbarrow full of shit. You can see it coming from a long way away and when it arrives nobody's laughing.

That's true actually you wouldn't be able to buy it in a supermarket. But still the product does exist.

The point I'm trying to make about a tube of Vaseline is that you can't tell someone off for technicalities when you yourself are wrong.

Also clearly you didn't get the sarcastic tone in my ending, maybe I didn't emphasise it enough. Never mind, I'm sure you'll get over it. Never the less if you thought that was supposed to be a joke then you're a fool...also surely you would stank it coming also I'm amazing that you've generated a complete analysis of some ones 'humour' from two posts on a forum, neither of which were meant to in anyway be funny. Unlike your suggestion of a 'tube of Vaseline and a courgette' which as I've already explained doesn't work on a pure technicality level on the most part. I think maybe you should look at criticism of your own words first before.

Never the less I don't want to fall out with anyone over a silly forum post...