Has anyone ever laughed at The Good Life? Page 4

Ronnie, I have no doubt that you became immersed in the unique world of The Good Life and I'm very happy for you.

In my school, the kids would run into the playground the following day almost bursting to discuss The Young Ones with baited breath. It might have been different where you went to school.

Warming to my "punk rock" theme. Were 'The Sex Pistols' the best musicians, or even the best exponents of punk rock music? Probably not. Do people listen to them today because of all their great songs and musicianship? Again, probably not.

It's the same with 'The Young Ones'. For those who were of my generation it really was a seminal moment when we suddenly felt like there was a sitcom for us rather than our parents (which every sitcom of the time was aimed at). It's not about whether it now holds up as the funniest show ever, it's about what it meant at the time. And as has been said, it changed a lot of the rules as to what a sitcom was allowed to be.

There's nothing wrong about The Good Life, I enjoyed it. In many ways it has held up much better than The Young Ones. But that's not really the point as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I've laughed at The Good Life, but Ever Decreasing Circles is much better. And funnier.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 14 2009, 1:11 PM BST

Warming to my "punk rock" theme. Were 'The Sex Pistols' the best musicians, or even the best exponents of punk rock music? Probably not. Do people listen to them today because of all their great songs and musicianship? Again, probably not.

I agree with your points about the comedy, but I'm not sure your analogy here quite works. The musicianship you will hear on the Sex Pistols' studio recordings is very good. This might have something to do with the fact that a seasoned session musician, Chris Spedding, played a lot of the instruments. Also, they used Chris Thomas, a top producer who also worked for the likes of Roxy Music.

What I like about them now is indeed their great songs and the musicianship we hear. Certainly, some of the members couldn't play at various times, but that's not at all apparent on NMtBollocks.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 14 2009, 1:11 PM BST

It's the same with 'The Young Ones'. For those who were of my generation it really was a seminal moment when we suddenly felt like there was a sitcom for us rather than our parents (which every sitcom of the time was aimed at). It's not about whether it now holds up as the funniest show ever, it's about what it meant at the time. And as has been said, it changed a lot of the rules as to what a sitcom was allowed to be.

There's nothing wrong about The Good Life, I enjoyed it. In many ways it has held up much better than The Young Ones. But that's not really the point as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I agree the Good Life wasn't as groundbreaking as the Young Ones, my point was simply that it has stood the test of time a lot better.

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2009, 2:48 AM BST

I've laughed. But it's not a wet-your-pants, laugh-your-head-off kind of show. More a charming, comforting chuckle to oneself.

I'm sure due to Felicity Kendall's presence, some people have wet there pants, but urine not being the substance.

However, it is a great show, but I've not viewed it enough to have a paticular line in mind. The situations and the acting are great though.