Has anyone ever laughed at The Good Life?

The Good Life is one of my favourite sitcoms ever and I think the idea of it was pretty genius, however, having watched more or less all of the episodes I can't think of one line or moment which made me laugh out loud. I think I like them so much because of the escapism, also, the fact it isn't really funny adds to a theory I have that sitcom is more about being a good writer than being funny. So, has anyone ever laughed at The Good Life?

I usually laugh at Jerry. Him and Margot are the best characters in my opinion.

I've laughed. But it's not a wet-your-pants, laugh-your-head-off kind of show. More a charming, comforting chuckle to oneself.

I remember laughing at it when I was a kid, particularly when Jerry was being henpecked by Margot. I have most of it on DVD now and have watched only a few episodes but didn't get any laughs this time around. Perhaps I would if drunk or watching it with a giggling fan. I did laugh when The Good Life's opening titles appeared in The Young Ones.

Quite irrelevantly, Penelope Keith and Andrew Sachs (in his Manuel guise) appeared in some unfunny TV commercials for Heinz soups in Australia in the 80s.

Jerry and Margot were great. :)

I think I did genuinely laugh a few times, Ronnie, usually at what Margot told Jerry off for, some of her lines were near classics, if I recall. I remember one episode where Jerry was having a takeaway curry behind Margot's back, and Margot came in with the air freshener spraying it all over him. I definitely laughed at that. Yeah, on the whole it's a feel good show, but I think there were real laughs in it too, not packed to the rafters with them, but enough, I thought. You're right though, whatever the formula was for that show, it certainly worked. That was one of the few shows I was really pleased to see in that slightly odd top ten the Beeb did a few years back.

There was a bit where Jerry was told off for buying a curry that made me laugh.

But I was usually distracted by Felicity Kendall...gggrrr!

Yes, her arse helped add to the charm of it.

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2009, 2:48 AM BST

More a charming, comforting chuckle to oneself.

Like after a wank?

I liked T.G.L, but yeah, not a LOL show.

The episode where Margot is appearing in the local am-dram production of The Sound Of Music was very funny, IIRC?

I've laughed a lot at TGL. Jerry was by far the best character although Margot had her moments.

My favourite episode is probably the Christmas special with Jerry's 'political chicken pox', the home made crackers and (I think) Tom slipping off the back of the sofa.

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2009, 2:48 AM BST

I've laughed. But it's not a wet-your-pants, laugh-your-head-off kind of show. More a charming, comforting chuckle to oneself.

Ezzackly.
And Jerry and Margot were definitely the best ones.

I can't believe most people wouldn't laugh at the (rather often shown) scene with the newspaper hats and the square egg joke Margot doesn't get.

It's the sort of pre watershed family show that raises a few nice smiles.

I think the same can be said for a lot of these, OFAH, LOTSW......Life of Riley

Margot is the show!

I don't think it could be compared to the Life Of Riley. As I've said I've never laughed at it once but it's still one of my favourite sitcoms, and I think this proves sitcom isn't neccesarily about being funny. I know it was quite funny but in truth millions of sitcoms are funnier (even Lunch Monkeys) but few have gained such high status .

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 13 2009, 5:58 PM BST

I don't think it could be compared to the Life Of Riley. As I've said I've never laughed at it once but it's still one of my favourite sitcoms, and I think this proves sitcom isn't neccesarily about being funny. I know it was quite funny but in truth millions of sitcoms are funnier (even Lunch Monkeys) but few have gained such high status .

This is a paradoxical argument and not one that stands much scrutiny. I think you're saying that for a sitcom to be funny it doesn't require "gags". This is true, but few good sitcoms actually use many "gags". They use funny lines emanating from the characters. The Good Life fits this type of comedy. Ultimately, by definition, a good sitcom has to be funny.