David Mitchell - too much of a good thing?

I like David Mitchell, he am a funny geezer. But is he in danger of getting to saturation point on my telly box?

Peep Show, Mitchell and Webb, every panel show imaginable and now he's on some piece of crap Vicar of Dibley thing (it's even got Dawn French in it) called Jam and Jerusalem.

A load of quirky middle class characters who live in a village. Who could have come up with such an original idea for a show? They must be some kind of brainiac geniusoid from Planet Mirth.

Anyways, he is the bestest, but with this amount of exposure, will he soon become an irritant or does his charisma and talent mean we'll never get tired of him?

Yes. I am tired, to be honest. As good as he is, it seems that he's on 90% of new comedy programmes right now, and it feels more than a little OTT. I don't begrudge him the work, but ... well, yeah, it's all a bit much really. I'd like to see someone else on my TV.

(And not Frankie Boyle, who seems eager to take the crown.)

In the first BSG Awards, we did a 'Best show with David Mitchell in' category, he was so prolific. Might have to bring that back this year.

Alas, since transferring to the BCG, it's been reduced to a mere footnote: https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/bcg_awards/2006/

You forgot Who Do You Think You Are? where we got to peep at his curtains (not a sexual reference).

I can't speak for my future self but so far I'm happy to see him on as many shows as he chooses to go on. A lot of comics are a bit mix and match for me but he's generally a little bit different, and is naturally funny. His comedy doesn't seem 'forced' which in others can be tiresome after a while.

Didn't he and Mr Webb ditch a new sitcom as they decided it wasn't up to scratch? Which I hope shows he's only interested in making TV he's happy with not just making the most of his current popularity.

Plus me and Julia C want to marry him (if that's OK with him and Nil). But he'll have to rethink the curtains.

Jx

He is my nemesis. Damn funny though. I'm not fed up with seeing him on stuff; if anything, I look forward to it.

Robert Webb is better. However Mitchell is alsways the funniest on whatever panel show he is on so I think he has earned the right to be everywhere.

The thing is, Mitchell seems to genuinely love doing comedy shows. And, he's good value on pretty much all of them. In his own words on Mitchell and Webb: "I'm just incredibly witty" Hard to disagree.

I wish he would do something with his hair as we have to see it so much.

I think he's on 'You Have Been Watching' next week as well

He's turning into the test card, albeit an erudite one.

At least overexposure of a good thing is better than overexposure of crap, which is the normal life experience.

Could the BBC replace BBC Three with 24/7 footage of a film crew following David Mitchel around. He could chat to new writers and actors and Robert Webb could provide an only slightly embittered voice over.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2009, 11:12 AM BST

Could the BBC replace BBC Three with 24/7 footage of a film crew following David Mitchel around.

It would certainly be an improvement over their current output.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 12 2009, 3:18 AM BST

Peep Show, Mitchell and Webb, every panel show imaginable and now he's on some piece of crap Vicar of Dibley thing (it's even got Dawn French in it) called Jam and Jerusalem.

Yeh that is bad, despite such a good cast.
I think David Mitchell was skint for a long time and is making hay while the sunshines. Also amused to hear him say why he likes to do Radio 4 Panel games; "it's for my twilight years when the kids think I'm crap."

David is great. I watch Peep Show and his sketch shows and his panel shows, but don't watch J&J as heard it was poor. I never get sick of him. I watched Would I Lie To You on Monday and he was on top form.

Maybe Stephen Fry has an incurable disease and Telly is hurriedly grooming his replacement.