Help (Paul Whitehouse sitcom)

Did anyone see Help on BBC Two with Chris Langham and Paul Whitehouse a few years back?

Yes

No I didn't was it any good?

I saw it but not as good as Happiness.

Yes. It was fabulous.

It was very good indeed. Unfortunately never had a second series...

BTW, what was the name of that British sitcom which used The Bootleg Beatles cover of 'Help' as its theme tune? Perhaps it was indeed called 'Help'? I think it was set in Scouseville, but amazingly wasn't written by Carla Lane? Can't remember what it was about. Did I just imagine this? Must have been in the 80s/early 90s. Errr

That's Help! from 1986.

Quote: Aaron @ July 31 2009, 10:39 PM BST

That's Help! from 1986.

Thank God! I thought I imagining non-existent 1980s sitcoms again.

*wipes brow*

If anyone is interested you can watch the full series of Help on YouTube. I have struggled to get it on DVD. I reckon the second series could have been amazing (the first was very good)there should be more shows like this about nowadays.

Also I am struggling to decide whether I'd watch a show with Chris Langham in. I definitely would but I'd feel slightly uneasy about it.

If you definitely would then your struggles are bit simpler than mine.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 1 2009, 1:20 AM BST

Also I am struggling to decide whether I'd watch a show with Chris Langham in. I definitely would

:D

I would watch a second series if they made one. They could easily focus on a new therapist if they wanted to and still use Paul Whitehouse, or indeed another good character actor/comedian. Help was brilliant, especially Monty.

I agree about Monty - he was really funny. The patient characters were a bit hit and miss. I am pretty sure one or two of them ended up on the sketch show Whitehouse did with Harry Enfield.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 1 2009, 1:20 AM BST

Also I am struggling to decide whether I'd watch a show with Chris Langham in. I definitely would but I'd feel slightly uneasy about it.

I feel the same about Will Mellor. Except for the bit about definitely watching it.

As for Help, great show. And one of the great lost sitcoms of recent years. If it hadn't been for the Langham rumpus I think it would have gone on to be a minor classic.

I've watched Help numerous times since Langham's conviction. Doesn't mean anything to me.