HR

HR doesn't have a thread to itself (at least, not that I can find as search strings have to have a minimum of three characters!)

Just listened to the whole series recently. It was very hard to take, a two-hander with no audience for half an hour each week. Hard to concentrate for that long and it came across more as comedy drama than the sitcom it was trying to be.

I think it would have worked better in front of an audience or, as the BCG comedy section suggests, as a 15-minuter rather than half an hour.

Anyone else hear it?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ July 23 2009, 9:32 AM BST

HR doesn't have a thread to itself (at least, not that I can find as search strings have to have a minimum of three characters!)

Just listened to the whole series recently. It was very hard to take, a two-hander with no audience for half an hour each week. Hard to concentrate for that long and it came across more as comedy drama than the sitcom it was trying to be.

I think it would have worked better in front of an audience or, as the BCG comedy section suggests, as a 15-minuter rather than half an hour.

Anyone else hear it?

Dan

No. What is it and when was/is it on?

It was on Radio 4 on Fridays, 11:30am a couple of months back (well, Feb/Mar)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/hr/

Dan

This was a hidden classic that improved as it went along, unlike a lot of comedies that start well and weaken. Like a classic wine it got better the more it was decantered and allowed to breathe.
The contrast between the optimistic English upper middle class Sam, and the pessimistic middle class Welsh Peter, was beautifully written and played.
A new take on Neil Simon's "The Odd Couple" theme of two retired men living together and their bickering, the rivalry in the presence of an attractive woman, put downs, on-off companionship, and hidden (in the British way) affection was deftly portrayed.

There are few 'sit-coms' that cater for the retired, as against "youth comedy" which is becoming more and more obsessed with "strong language". Should that not be "bad" language - an inability to express one's self without resorting to swearing is weakness, not strength, surely?

I do hope it comes back with more inventive plot lines as I felt Nigel Williams was just getting into his stride.

The final lost lottery ticket plot was one of the funniest things I have heard on the radio in years, and should have made "Pick of the Week"!
I was sitting outside B&Q on "pensioners Wednesday" roaring with laughter in my car, unwilling to switch off my wireless (that dates me!) until the final line!
That must be the best sign of enjoyable radio.

More please!

Great feedback Syephen. I've not got around to listening to the series yet, but sounds like it could be quite up my street.