Lead Balloon - Series 1

At last...a decent BBC sitcom that isn't written by Ricky Gervais. Watched the first episode last night and thought that it showed a lot of promise. It will inevitably be compared with Curb Your Enthusiasm, but if you're going to borrow then you might as well borrow from the best.

I really liked it.
"I eat buns".
Hee.

And they played a Ben Folds song as background music! Which might mean nothing to anyone else, but it made me happy.

Let's have it right it was certainly nothing to write home about which makes what I'm doing now pretty ironic.

The gags were a bit tired and I thought the best character was the cleaner/nanny who did raise a smile.

Don't get me wrong when I see something good I will be on this forum like a trap on a kipper but it probably says something when it's put on bbc4 at 10.30.

If you take a look at this site's news section, you'll see that it earned BBC4 its highest-ever rating for a comedy show, so expect to see it on BBC1 or 2 in the near future.

I liked it. There have been so many piss poor sitcoms on the BBC over recent years that I'm just grateful for anything that is intelligent and well written. The programme with Mark Lawson interviewing Jack Dee was also worth watching.

I have to agree with Mark, I think Lead Balloon should be a prophetic title for it. There were too many passages of unfunny dialogue, and they gave away the cafe owner knowing about the cake before they entered the shop. Perhaps it would have been funnier if the owner was dissing Dee without Dee realising why until he reads the paper and the penny drops. The other way around, you knew what was happening.

The best character for me was the interfering whispery shop assistant at the baby store. She was at least nicely observed. although the cleaner was next in line. But surely when minor characters leap out that says something about the major characters?

The plot wasn't staggering although i thought the end was an improvement as they began to pile the troubles on Dee. However, a funnier end may have been to have the people he'd offended banging on his front door for a showdown as he tried sneaking out back. Straight into the waiting hard guy who'd been to prison.

Jack Dee was just being Jack Dee. He wasn't the much-publicised "Rick Spleen", or else Rick Spleen makes his living as a Jack Dee impersonator. It's like the anti-drugs video Rik Mayall once did that announced a 'great new character' and it was just rik mayall being the same character he's been throughout his career in YOnes / Filthy Rich (now that was a great show) / Bottom / Paradiso. There was nothing new in Dee's characterisation (if there was any characterisation) to warrant a name other than Jack Dee

The handwritten interludes were nice but often just repeated a joke.

It needs to get more jokes in to warrant being called a sit-com. And more plot. I'll almost guarantee that if one of us had sent in that script to the Beeb, we'd be reading a rejection slip.

I watched this and i really enjoyed it. As zooo said "I eat buns" made me laugh. I just don't like the american chap, it seems like there's no point him being there imo. Oh, and Michael, i still think of him as Brian from MPAA.

lovin it so much!! :D

In response to Wheeler about so many piss poor sitcoms, perhaps the reason for this is too many companies looking for a sure thing and simply relying on a name such as Jack Dee.

Like SlagA said if this was sent off by Mr. J Bloggs based on what we've seen so far I agree, a regection slip would have been on it's way.

Yes there is a lot of toss out there but as new writers all you hear is how companies are begging for good scripts and constantly looking for the next big thing, if this is the case how come companies make it so difficult to submit ideas as an new/unheard of writer whose name might not be Mr. J Dee?

oops regection slip, SEE ME!

Perhaps it's due to shit spilling.

I found the first episode a little slow, but really enjoyed the second. It was a shame the scene where Rick sets his alarm to catch out the paper boy was spoiled by the trailer, as it was the funniest I thought.

I agree with the previous comments about Curb - may as well borrow from the best. But the scene in the baby shop was very reminiscent of a scene in Curb where tightfisted Larry has to buy a gift.

It's OK - has some funny moments and I thought the scene with Jack Dee and the guy from The Office worked well. But there is a shortage of laughs and some of the characters could easily be dropped, such as the American guy (not funny) and the slacker boyfriend (one gormless teenager is more than enough, thanks). I also can't help comparing it with Curb Your Enthusiasm and no one does that kind of humour better than Larry David.

I've heard having an American character helps to sell a show (and novels) to the states. I wonder if that's true, and if people might be tempted to add an American character for this reason? It occured to me when I watched Love Soup, Lead Balloon and Not Going Out, all recent and all with one American. Hmmm...

Don't forget the brilliant 'My Hero'

Quote: Mark Rushton @ October 12, 2006, 4:17 PM

Don't forget 'My Hero'

Thats better. :D

I can't take it any longer. I have to reply just incase there is any confusion.

I was taking the piss when I said brilliant I hate this show already!!

Just to clear that up.

Quote: Mark Rushton @ October 6, 2006, 8:50 AM

Don't get me wrong when I see something good I will be on this forum like a trap on a kipper but it probably says something when it's put on bbc4 at 10.30.

It was Jack Dee's decision for Lead Balloon to make its debut on BBC4. Quote from a piece on the show in today's Guardian:

Lead Balloon premiered on BBC4 on October 4 at 10.30pm and instantly became the highest-rated comedy on the channel to date, securing a peak of 383,000 viewers. Realising they had a bit of gold on their hands, the BBC moved with astonishing speed to fashion it into a prime-time trinket. Lead Balloon switches to BBC2 on October 26, making the jump before it has finished its first run on BBC4.