The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 84

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 11 2010, 10:13 PM GMT

Opinions please on Michael Carrick. Me and my Dad are forever debating about him. I think he is a great player, he doesn't do the glamorous stuff, he just puts his shift in, in midfield and is very effective. My Dad on the otherhand thinks he is shite. What's your opinion on him?

I have no opinion of him. Except he was a cnut for joining Manchester United.

Who bloody cares?

What's your opinion on Ferguson whinging about referees doing their job every week?

Nobody is scared of the old tosser any more.

He does overstep the mark with referees most definetly. The only referee who deserved a good slagging off was that arse who refereed the defeat at Stamford Bridge this season (I think it was Martin Atkinson, Ron or Rowan Atkinson could have done a better job).
You say Carrick's a cnut for joining Manchester United, yet can you blame him, in his time at the club he has won three premiership titles and played in two Champions League finals. I think he has played an instrumental part in United's revival.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 11 2010, 10:42 PM GMT

He does overstep the mark with referees most definetly. The only referee who deserved a good slagging off was that arse who refereed the defeat at Stamford Bridge this season (I think it was Martin Atkinson, Ron or Rowan Atkinson could have done a better job).
You say Carrick's a cnut for joining Manchester United, yet can you blame him, in his time at the club he has won three premiership titles and played in two Champions League finals. I think he has played an instrumental part in United's revival.

But he's just one of about 20. Are you going to ask what we think of them all?

Why can't players be loyal any more? The players I had most respect for are those who turned down the big clubs.

Good old City. That's the team actually in Manchester.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8443696.stm

Myself also, fairplay to Mr Le Tissier for example, yet he could have played at the very highest level. Likewise Ryan Giggs, he could have played for England (he may have been the answer we needed, say at Euro 96 and France 98)yet he chose his native Wales. I dispise anyone joining the big clubs for money, but the chance to join a big club to play in big games, then why not. For example, look at Antonio Valencia. He was at Wigan last year, just the same mid table challenge every year. He's come to United, he's put in some really good performances in my opinion and he is competing for a Premiership medal and a Champions League medal and I can tell from his performances he hasn't come for the money.
A word of warning though, if you are one of these players playing in an average Premiership team, don't go to Chelsea, as Scott Parker, Tal Ben Haim and Steve Sidwell will comment.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 11 2010, 11:01 PM GMT

A word of warning though, if you are one of these players playing in an average Premiership team, don't go to Chelsea, as Scott Parker, Tal Ben Haim and Steve Sidwell will comment.

The trouble there was though that the managers who signed them got sacked.

I noticed that. At the start of the 07-08 season, Mourinho signed Ben Haim, Sidwell and Claudio Pizarro. He saw them in United terms to be like say Park Ji Sung, Anderson and Michael Owen, not regular starters but would be squad players and they played their part whilst Mourinho was there, but when Avram Grant took over, he saw no place for them, so they just didn't partcipate at all. I think they would have got more of a chance under Mourinho.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 11 2010, 11:11 PM GMT

I noticed that. At the start of the 07-08 season, Mourinho signed Ben Haim, Sidwell and Claudio Pizarro. He saw them in United terms to be like say Park Ji Sung, Anderson and Michael Owen, not regular starters but would be squad players and they played their part whilst Mourinho was there, but when Avram Grant took over, he saw no place for them, so they just didn't partcipate at all. I think they would have got more of a chance under Mourinho.

I do miss Mourinho. He gave the Premier League something extra - a bit of style perhaps. He's got more charm and humour than all the rest put together.

And as he said he's a lucky coach, not necessarily a good one after Inter got 2 goals in the last couple of minutes to turn round their game at the weekend.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 11 2010, 11:01 PM GMT

Myself also, fairplay to Mr Le Tissier for example, yet he could have played at the very highest level. Likewise Ryan Giggs, he could have played for England (he may have been the answer we needed, say at Euro 96 and France 98)yet he chose his native Wales. I dispise anyone joining the big clubs for money, but the chance to join a big club to play in big games, then why not. For example, look at Antonio Valencia. He was at Wigan last year, just the same mid table challenge every year. He's come to United, he's put in some really good performances in my opinion and he is competing for a Premiership medal and a Champions League medal and I can tell from his performances he hasn't come for the money.

I'm afraid the 'Giggs could have played for England' line has to be filed alongside 'the female orgasm' in the 'urban myth' category.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ January 11 2010, 11:25 PM GMT

I'm afraid the 'Giggs could have played for England' line has to be filed alongside 'the female orgasm' in the 'urban myth' category.

(Ducks to avoid the impending barrage!)

Quote: Chappers @ January 11 2010, 11:24 PM GMT

I do miss Mourinho. He gave the Premier League something extra - a bit of style perhaps. He's got more charm and humour than all the rest put together.

Oh well, you'll see more of him when he takes over at United. Whistling nnocently

Opinions please on Michael Carrick. Me and my Dad are forever debating about him. I think he is a great player, he doesn't do the glamorous stuff, he just puts his shift in, in midfield and is very effective. My Dad on the otherhand thinks he is shite. What's your opinion on him?

I can answer your question maturely Jack. Pleased

I have always rated Michael Carrick, I think he's a wonderful player. Sometimes he fades a bit in comparison with the players he's playing with as he doesn't necessarily do the flashier things or score much. He's had it throughout his career as he came up through the ranks alongside Joe Cole at West Ham but he gets on with his trade quietly and effectively, like you say.

The thing to look at is his passing, I genuinely think he's one of the best passers of a football I've ever witnessed. It's worth watching him specifically throughout a game just to watch his passing.

Quote: PhQnix @ January 12 2010, 7:52 PM GMT

I can answer your question maturely Jack. Pleased

I have always rated Michael Carrick, I think he's a wonderful player. Sometimes he fades a bit in comparison with the players he's playing with as he doesn't necessarily do the flashier things or score much. He's had it throughout his career as he came up through the ranks alongside Joe Cole at West Ham but he gets on with his trade quietly and effectively, like you say.

The thing to look at is his passing, I genuinely think he's one of the best passers of a football I've ever witnessed. It's worth watching him specifically throughout a game just to watch his passing.

I just showed this post to my Dad and he has said, what drugs has Phqnix been taking.

He didnt get the title "king Carrick" for nothing.

Smarmy

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ January 11 2010, 11:25 PM GMT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport

What about John Barnes?

Three words. Carrick is class.

He's been a rock in midfield. Nearly always dependable and honest. Not as visible a grafter as Park or Fletcher, most of his work passes unnoticed because of his nature and style of play. If he made himself more visible there'd be no debate about his value.