The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 698

Quote: garyd @ 25th June 2019, 10:06 PM

What the f**k was the Japanese player supposed to do with her arm when the ball was pinging about and the snap shot was fired no more than 3 yards from her.

It's just... wrong!

I think 'penalty' was the correct decision.

FIFA rules say "A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. . However, if a player's arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched . . .then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

As Garyd says, she had no chance to get her arm out of the way but that's not the point: her arms were outstretched and therefore, whether accidental or not, an unlawful and unforgivable impediment to the progress of the ball.

It's a penalty, I'm afraid.

Yes Rood, it was a penalty because dem's the rules.
My point is that I think the rule is bollox!
It certainly seems to me that the human race has forgotten common sense.
Unfortunately, I feel football is beyond saving.
Of course, the 'easy' thing would be to not watch football anymore, but much to my other half's continued astonishment, supporting my team is like a religion to me.
I despair!

Quote: garyd @ 26th June 2019, 12:19 AM

Yes Rood, it was a penalty because dem's the rules.
My point is that I think the rule is bollox!
It certainly seems to me that the human race has forgotten common sense.
Unfortunately, I feel football is beyond saving.
Of course, the 'easy' thing would be to not watch football anymore, but much to my other half's continued astonishment, supporting my team is like a religion to me.
I despair!

The rule may be "Bollox" but we have to play by them. Otherwise you turn into Cameroon players.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th June 2019, 10:17 PM

The rule may be "Bollox" but we have to play by them. Otherwise you turn into Cameroon players.

:D

As I hate them so much I've just bet a tenner on Manure winning the league at 28-1 - just in case so I won't be totally pissed off if the worst came to the worst.

28-1???

Holy crap

I have received the long-awaited details of the incentives for investing in AFC Wimbledon's new stadium in Plough Lane. It seems that, if I invest £500, I can have my name inscribed on a urinal...

"Once-in-a-lifetime investor perks
AFC Wimbledon would like to offer fans and investors some exclusive investor perks to thank them for supporting their fundraising efforts. Check out a preview of what's on offer below, with more details to follow for each tier when the pitch is launched next week.

All investors will have their names recorded on the Investors Wall in the new Plough Lane stadium.

All investors will be entered into a draw to have the new Plough Lane stadium named after them for one of five league matches in the stadium's first season.

£100
AFC Wimbledon Commemorative Scarf
An individual brick plaque in the new stadium

£250 All of the above
Two tickets for one league home game in the stadium's first season

£500 All of the above
Your choice of name on the steps leading up to the stadium
Your choice of name on a turnstile, urinal, beer tap, screen, or EPOS till

£1,000 All of the above
Hospitality upgrade on the two league home game tickets

£5,0000 All of the above
Hospitality upgrade and two extra league home game tickets
Your choice of name on toilet block, food, beverage or merchandise kiosk

£10,000 All of the above
Your choice of name on a changing room seat
Watch a first-team training session and have lunch with the players

£20,000 All of the above
Lunch with the manager and player of your choice
Your choice of (non-business) name on the stadium during first season (limited availability)

£50,000 All of the above
Round of golf with the manager and club legend or 1:1 training session
Become a Club Patron

£100K+ All of the above
Travel with the team for an away match of your choice inc. overnight stay
Become a Vice President of AFC Wimbledon"

Is the club legend Vinnie?

Are they returning for this season?

Ah no. I see it's the following season.

Interesting to see they're playing MK home and away within the first few weeks.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th July 2019, 9:25 PM

Is the club legend Vinnie?

My club legend would be Dave Bassett. Or, before him, Eddie Reynolds - the only player to score 4 goals with his head at Wembley (which he did in the 1963 Amateur Cup Final). But he died in 1993 so it won't be him.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th July 2019, 9:31 PM

Are they returning for this season?

Ah no. I see it's the following season.

Interesting to see they're playing MK home and away within the first few weeks.

Yes, firstly in the League Cup (or whatever it's called now). I think somebody with a wicked sense of humour pulled that one out of the hat.

As you say, the aim is to be there for the kick off of 2020/21. Although I shall believe that when I see it. The plan is a 9,000 capacity stadium, which can be increased to 20,000 by connecting all 4 corners to create a bowl shaped arena. Projected cost £30 million.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th July 2019, 10:22 PM

My club legend would be Dave Bassett. Or, before him, Eddie Reynolds - the only player to score 4 goals with his head at Wembley (which he did in the 1963 Amateur Cup Final). But he died in 1993 so it won't be him.

Well we're not going to bring that up are we!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th July 2019, 10:22 PM

As you say, the aim is to be there for the kick off of 2020/21. Although I shall believe that when I see it. The plan is a 9,000 capacity stadium, which can be increased to 20,000 by connecting all 4 corners to create a bowl shaped arena. Projected cost £30 million.

That should be a great arena. Shame there's no dogs or stock cars though.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th July 2019, 8:57 PM

Well we're not going to bring that up are we!

:) I thought that might get a reaction. I still have the programme & match ticket.

Celtic knocked out at the Champions League qualifying stage 5-4 at home to a Romanian team.

Clear evidence of the deterioration in quality of the Scottish league.

They walk it every year. There is no competition. That has been evidenced by one of Sutton United's players being signed by Dundee although he returned some months later. Also when Salford when they were still non-league signing a striker from Aberdeen.

What is the point of the Scottish league? I just hope for the sake of competitiveness that Rangers push them all the way.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th August 2019, 6:06 PM

What is the point of the Scottish league?

The point of the Scottish League is to have some sure things on which to bet on a Saturday afternoon while the bookmakers odds compilers' attention is diverted to the Premier League and the so-called Championship, eg this week Falkirk (v Montrose), Peterhead (v Dumbarton) & Cove Rangers (v Cowdenbeath).

Meanwhile Gary Neville has declared that he has no desire to return to coaching: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49341762 I'm sure there's a lot of clubs out there breathing a sigh of relief.

So three lasses were in charge of the European Super-cup last night.
The ref and 2 linesmen - er lineswomen er linespeople er linesgenderneutral... I don't know.

They did a great job and were virtually invisible - which is a good thing in football officials.
I did wonder what the crowd would sing if the ref made a controversial decision.

The referee's a ???