The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 144

I'm stuck on this one now, is it the coach's fault for England not performing or is it the players' fault? They are the ones out there and they look a bit clueless. Having said that Capello has made some odd selections - Heskey in both games, an unfit Milner in the first game, he refuses to play fans' favourite Joe Cole and he generally looks set in his ways and unflexible.

John Terry will be the first to tell the world who's fault it was if they do go out on Wedsnesday and you feel Capello's going to get a roasting. To me Capello is looking more and more like a man interested in money and the good life. That contract negotiation had me wondering about his real priorities, he can slip out of England altogether next week if we don't make it, but the players can't. Have the FA failed to grasp the importance of this English coach thing? And are England ever capable of playing in an Italian way? My man for the job is Redknapp and I'd put money on him getting this current squad to the final, because he has passion for England, understands the players and gets on well with them, he is a players' coach. Capello is isolating them and being stubborn and he has clearly upset one or two such as Terry. Personally I don't think we'll beat Slovenia.

Alfred you are falling into the old "passion" argument, it's not that the coach or the players lack "passion" and "commitment" it's that they are unable to put their egos to one side and do the simple things like pass to one another over 5-10 yards, to make runs into space and to close down opponents in midfield.

Every England player plays for himself and not for the team, look at "Captain Clueless" Steven Gerrard, he gets praised for running around like a kid with ADHD, spraying shots left, right and not very centre, when what England need is for a calm head to play some simple passes NOT "Hollywood" 50 yard passes which look great on the 1 in 5 occasions where they actually reach the intended player.

If you watch the teams who are doing well (and I'll include Spain and Germany in this even though both lost their last matches) they are able to pass and move. Watch Germany in their first match against Australia for a perfect example of a team doing nothing "showy" but playing simple, very effective passing football, something which England have struggled to do in every major tournament since Goodness knows when.

Capello is a good, if not great, coach, but it's not his fault if the players are incapable of following or executing simple instructions.

Excuse me squirming out from under the Lurking Stone but I think I have the answer to England's woes. I was doing keepy-uppies in the garden last week with the dog snapping at the ball and I managed 21. We clearly need a middle-aged central holding midfielder with dodgy knees so when the call comes through I can put a good word in for any other BCG peeps with similar skills.
England England England

Quote: Croydesponger @ June 21 2010, 10:53 AM BST

Excuse me squirming out from under the Lurking Stone but I think I have the answer to England's woes. I was doing keepy-uppies in the garden last week with the dog snapping at the ball and I managed 21. We clearly need a middle-aged central holding midfielder with dodgy knees so when the call comes through I can put a good word in for any other BCG peeps with similar skills.
England England England

Well I'm a 37 year old left-footed winger/striker also with dodgy knees, I could well be the answer to England "left sided crisis".

Oh and I've scored two goals at Stenhousemuir's Ochilvy Park, pick me Mr Capello!

Good - I've got room in the Corsa for a couple extra. We could get there by Wednesday if we leave before lunch.

Quote: Croydesponger @ June 21 2010, 10:53 AM BST

I was doing keepy-uppies in the garden last week with the dog snapping at the ball and I managed 21. We clearly need a middle-aged central holding midfielder with dodgy knees

And a dog . . .

Quote: catskillz @ June 17 2010, 11:57 PM BST

I've always been a massive Maradona fan. I used to buy old videos of him playing for Boca Juniors, Barcelona and Napoli, that were advertised in footie mags, back in around '93/'94. His second goal against England, in the '86 Quarter-final, was such a thing of beauty that a little part of me has always been thankful that his handball was allowed, earlier on in the game, because without it, the second goal would never have happened.

I remember when he demanded an incredible amount of money for a Rest of the World team versus the Football League. Ken Bates argued that you couldn't have a rest of the World team without him. Greedy bastard!

So going back to my predictions I still think France will not qualify but I was wrong about Portugal. I wonder though if they have written anybody's death warrant - not that we'd hear about it anyway.

Quote: DaButt @ June 18 2010, 11:37 PM BST

I didn't realize that hugging was such a big part of the sport.

That's Strictly Come Dancing.

Quote: Michael O'Connor @ June 19 2010, 12:01 AM BST

According to predictability, Capello will be the most hated man in England next Wednesday, following his team's exit from the World Cup at the hands of the mighty Slovenia.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13775

Well he is Italian. Do you really think he wants England to win it?

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 19 2010, 1:02 AM BST

Gerrard rapped: "I'm not happy with the performance.

"We have to give them credit.

"This was their World Cup final."

See what I mean?

Arrogant assole.

I thought the same at the time. Funny if thy go through at our expense.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 19 2010, 9:03 AM BST

Yeah I've been watching a lot of shots do the same, that just isn't right, that weird ball is making good players look like idiots and those players are then losing confidence in themselves and under performing. This is a very strange looking world cup so far, only Holland, Mexico and Argentina have managed to look good. Several big teams are looking dreadful, lacking control of the ball, and dour defensive football is starting to take over. USA v Slovenia is the best game I've seen so far, so there is proof that goals can be scored with that odd balloon like ball.

That happened last time and the time before I seem to remember.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 19 2010, 5:06 PM BST

How dirty are Australia? They had the whole lot going on there, handballs, pushing off the ball, their customary late tackles, falling over to get free kicks, even deliberately heading a player's head in the air instead of the ball. That was an appallingly cynical display of non football, even by their low standards.

That's Australians for you.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 21 2010, 8:34 AM BST

John Terry will be the first to tell the world who's fault it was if they do go out on Wedsnesday and you feel Capello's going to get a roasting.

None of the squad have been found guilty of that yet.

Well that arrogant tosser Rooney needs taking down a peg or 50. F**king arsehole. Who pays his wages? Who'a paid thousands to go and see him and hos team mates underperforming?

I'd drop him, put 2 wingers on and Crouch up front.

Anyway - come on you Kiwis. You've got the same points as England put seem to have lots more passion.

Oxo have released a new cube supporting the England team. It's White with a red cross on it, they have called it the laughing stock.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8752379.stm

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 21 2010, 9:13 PM BST

Oxo have released a new cube supporting the England team. It's White with a red cross on it, they have called it the laughing stock.

Oxo must have realised the complete stew England are in.

Look out for the special edition Branston Pickle as well !

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 21 2010, 12:21 AM BST

The sending of of Kaka has to be one of the worst decisions in football history !

The other play actor should have gone.

I agree.

Brazil looking good. Hope Elano is back for the Portugal game. Should be a good one.

I wish someone much cleverer than I could add music to this and post it on You Tube !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8751854.stm

A comment posted on one of The Sun's threads today . .

Remember what those 3 Lions on the shirt mean! Years of fruitful conquest on foreign fields! We have not lost that spirit-England just need to rekindle it!

And the cream of English society . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWDl4j-wHU

Terry. Cock. Should have been left at home.