Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this site so I don't if this has already been talked about, sorry if it has and if so could you provide a link to the thread.

Anyway, I thought this looked like a good oppurtunity although I do have one question - what is family drama?

It's difficult cos any tension that will grab the adults also has to accessable for kids as well.

Also, is anyone else going to enter this?

link?

Quote: writer_for_hire @ June 28 2009, 1:30 PM BST

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this site so I don't if this has already been talked about, sorry if it has and if so could you provide a link to the thread.

Anyway, I thought this looked like a good oppurtunity although I do have one question - what is family drama?

It's difficult cos any tension that will grab the adults also has to accessable for kids as well.

Also, is anyone else going to enter this?

I'm confused. You ask what a family drama is - how do you know they want family drama if you don't have a link? You must have read about it somewhere. A quick Google will soon answer queries like this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/peter_ustinov_award.shtml

"You ask what a family drama is - how do you know they want family drama if you don't have a link?"

I had read the Writersroom site and their website, I just hadn't provided a link. Didn't know I needed to.

To be honest, the Writersroom and their website doesn't really answer any questions. They're obviously leaving it wide open for the writer to do what they want, I just wondered what everyone thought about it

Quote: writer_for_hire @ June 28 2009, 4:45 PM BST

"You ask what a family drama is - how do you know they want family drama if you don't have a link?"

I had read the Writersroom site and their website, I just hadn't provided a link. Didn't know I needed to.

To be honest, the Writersroom and their website doesn't really answer any questions. They're obviously leaving it wide open for the writer to do what they want, I just wondered what everyone thought about it

Right. You asking for a link is what confused me. Writers Room link to the website, which says a drama suitable for family viewing, so why not think of some dramas you have seen that you think were suitable for family viewing and aim for something like that, with your own original voice.

"You asking for a link is what confused me"

I asked for a link to a thread that was discussing the award, if any existed at all - "sorry if it has and if so could you provide a link to the thread"

I still think they should give us a little bit more on what they want, maybe limit it to a certain genre or a specific theme. I mean, how often in the business do writer's get to write exactly what they want to. I think it's more a measure of a writer's talent if they are told to write about something and they succeed.

I think it's better to have artistic license to write whatever.

To answer the previous question "family drama" presumably is drama without sex, nudity, gratuitous violence and Keith Chegwin.

Quote: writer_for_hire @ June 28 2009, 8:58 PM BST

" I mean, how often in the business do writer's get to write exactly what they want to. I think it's more a measure of a writer's talent if they are told to write about something and they succeed.

Or not.

:D

I know what you are saying, I guess I am staring a gift horse in the mouth a bit - or however the saying goes.

Although I entered this competition a while back called CoWrite and you had to write the first ten pages of a family thriller following a young spy. I loved this competition because you were given a subject to play around with and put your own twist on.

Still, any of you guys going to enter the Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award then?

I fear I may be too ancient for this.

The competition is designed to motivate non-American novice writers under the age of 30

And yes, I suppose a contest on a specific theme might be fun, but I'd rather enter non themed competitions where my imagination can run riot.

I'm only 18 and have just started following my hope of becoming a professional writer. Any tips anyone can offer on how to write a good family drama would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Guy meets girl.
Guy finds out girl has children.
Guy doesn't realy have a clue with children.
Ex hubby comes on scene.
Friction.
Ex hubby gets girl even though he's no good for her.
Guy finds out and wallows in self pity.
Ex hubby shows true colours.
Girl realises she loves the other guy.
Guy about to leave on train, plane or space shuttle.
Girl wins guy back just in time.
Sugary music playing in waterfall-like crescendos and camera revolving aound the embracing pair while they kiss.

There you go. The formula for a good old family drama. :P

Seriously thoug, I remember being 18 with those aspirations, but I think you need a bit more life experience to write a good drama.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 1 2009, 12:04 PM BST

but I think you need a bit more life experience to write a good drama.

Nah, I don't believe that, if you can write you can write. Certain people may get better with age, or need those years behind them to inform their work, but there will always be those who can just do it. They're called bastards.

Hi Matthew.
Oh, yeah, if there's a talent, then you can write at any age.

But with some writing, you'll need some experience of life, or knowledge of work, relationships, etc.

Mikey's got a point, but I think I'll be OK cos I'm writing about my personal experiences. writing's a lot easier when you're writing about something you know definitly :)