Sitcom Haiku Page 3

Arse, I see to have trouble counting upto 7. Maybe I should get a job looking after MP's expenses.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 26 2009, 2:18 PM BST

Dentist and his wife
who cannot cook the dinner
But not Butterflies

Old Icelandic skaldic poems?

On fart gags.

Quote: sootyj @ May 26 2009, 2:22 PM BST

Maybe I should get a job looking after MP's expenses.

Be nice to have some!

I'm perfectly willing to
swear. As were the Berkley Boys
When the sun went down.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 26 2009, 2:18 PM BST

Dentist and his wife
who cannot cook the dinner
But not Butterflies

Pulling (Teeth)

Only kidding.

:)

Men with same parents
camp moustaches and mullets
both have laughing sight.

Not much guessing going on, or is it that they're all too obvious?

Quote: Marc P @ May 26 2009, 2:01 PM BST

Maybe you are thinking of sonnets. :)

:O I'm not that thick - I was thinking of:

THE MATTER OF KU-MATAGARI (SEGMENT-STRADDLING)

Besides the two linguistic considerations and the varying underlying structures , there is yet another factor adding freedom and flexibility to contemporary Japanese haiku. Although a majority of contemporary Japanese haiku are still written in the classic 5-7-5 form, a significant number of them make use of what is called ku-matagari (segment-straddling), where a word straddles two segments. Many haiku that appear to be, and can be read aloud as 5-7-5 are actually 7-5-5, 8-4-5, 5-9-3, 5-8-4, etc. This technique is more frequently used by the poets in the avant-garde schools, and only those schools seem to allow more than one straddling within one haiku.****
Although the popular use of ku-matagari is a relatively recent phenomenon, I have come across some examples in a comprehensive collection of Issa's haiku.

Here is one example :
dou owaretemo (7) hitozato-o (5) watari-dori (5) - Issa

hunted mercilessly
migrating birds still
fly over towns

Quote: Marc P @ May 26 2009, 2:30 PM BST

Pulling (Teeth)

Watching it can feel like that.

I thought these were supposed to be cryptic?
:D

Ok, I'll ask...

Can someone explain, for us dimwits, exactly what a Haiku is?

Time to take the climb
Up the fabled wooden hill
And to Bedfordshire.

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 26 2009, 2:42 PM BST

Ok, I'll ask...

It's a three line japanese poem. 5/7/5 syllables, usually summming up some larger philosophy or view within a small metaphorical observation.

We are using the form here if not the spirit of the thing. And I think the Japanese run it all on one line and read it backwards.

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 26 2009, 2:42 PM BST

Ok, I'll ask...

A poem usually in praise of the seasons written as 3 lines containing, 5, 7 and 5 syllables.

Quote: sootyj @ May 26 2009, 2:44 PM BST

A poem usually in praise of the seasons written as 3 lines containing, 5, 7 and 5 syllables.

It has references to the seasons usually SottyJ but not really in praise to them. It is more of a pathetic fallacy/anthropomorphism metaphorical kind of gig.

:)

Thanks everyone.

Quote: Griff @ May 26 2009, 2:46 PM BST

You plonker. Don't you know there's a war on?

:) But no.

Quote: Jane P @ May 26 2009, 2:37 PM BST

:O I'm not that thick - I was thinking of:

THE MATTER OF KU-MATAGARI (SEGMENT-STRADDLING)

Besides the two linguistic considerations and the varying underlying structures , there is yet another factor adding freedom and flexibility to contemporary Japanese haiku. Although a majority of contemporary Japanese haiku are still written in the classic 5-7-5 form, a significant number of them make use of what is called ku-matagari (segment-straddling), where a word straddles two segments. Many haiku that appear to be, and can be read aloud as 5-7-5 are actually 7-5-5, 8-4-5, 5-9-3, 5-8-4, etc. This technique is more frequently used by the poets in the avant-garde schools, and only those schools seem to allow more than one straddling within one haiku.****
Although the popular use of ku-matagari is a relatively recent phenomenon, I have come across some examples in a comprehensive collection of Issa's haiku.

Here is one example :
dou owaretemo (7) hitozato-o (5) watari-dori (5) - Issa

hunted mercilessly
migrating birds still
fly over towns

So what you are saying is the classic Haiku is 5/7/5 but some twerps are calling themselves post modern by not sticking to the form. That's like calling a limerick a sonnett!!

:D

Old men brave hearts
Fight the Hun fight the ARP
No one likes anal.