The Kit Curran Radio Show

Anybody else recall this 1980s show? Titular character played by Denis Lawson was a DJ and a forerunner of Alan Partridge if memory serves. Another self-centred character. I saw a couple of the episodes I think, but memories are hazy, I was only about eight at the time. Hamilton and Jenkin wrote this same time as they were writing Shelley, or just after the original run of Shelley finished.

I remember liking it. Not sure how it would hold up nowadays.

Yes, I've been watching it recently. Not bad, but really nothing special. I'd predict a DVD release within 2 years.

ok is Kit a bit Partridge-like then Aaron?. I thought he was if I remember correctly

There are similarities, yes. If they didn't nick a whole load of ideas when writing Partridge, then coincidences stretch a hell of a lot further than anyone would have imagined. However, Alan's not a direct, point-for-point copy. He's more of an objectionable, obnoxious twat, whilst Kit is just self-obsessed.

So I think your question should have been "Is Partridge a bit Kit-like?" ;)

Yep, that's what I meant.

I remember very sad theme tune, "I'm all alone,"

And there was a bit where a guy with a gun held up the studio the fat bloke hit him with a leg of lamb, and Kit squirted ketchup in the bullet holes in the wall.

Also Kit just stayed a DJ while Partridge, of course, started on TV.

Quote: sootyj @ May 21 2009, 10:12 PM BST

I remember very sad theme tune, "I'm all alone,"

For The Kit Curran Radio Show? If so, you must be getting confused. It's really up-beat, far from sad.

It says on Denis Lawson's Wikipedia he has made a sitcom about community support officers called Above Their Station. I think this could be his first comedic role since he played Kit, not sure but I think so

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sensitive_skin/

To label it as comedy is a bit of a stretch IMO, mind.

Oh yes, forgot about that show. It was on BBC Two I think.

Also, is Brian Wilde's character in TKCRS a variation on Foggy/Mr Barroclough? Cant't really recall.

Not really, no.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/kit_curran/

I know this is an old thread, but I got this on DVD for Christmas and I'm enjoying it immensely. Lawson is great as the cheeky chappie Kit Curran but the stand out is Clive Merrison, the perfect level of sardonic and really funny facial expressions, especially when reading out the 'cute' stories.