No Place Like Home

Did anybody else like this 1980s show which at one time featured a young Martin Clunes? Having seen both shows, IMO it bore a passing similarity to The Cosby Show, in that both shows featured fathers trying to offload their children, only for the children to keep returning home. Daniel Hill (Waiting For God, and played Cassandra's boss in the Only Fools And Horses episode Jolly Boys Outing) also featured, think he's an underrated sitcom actor.

Had its moments, but ultimately pretty frustrating and dull. Trevor was great though (played by Michael Sharvell-Martin, who is excellent).

Series 1 and 2 are available to buy on DVD.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1009042/No_Place_Like_Home_Series_1/Product.html]
[h=482630]

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1112556/No_Place_Like_Home_Series_2/Product.html]
[h=552829]

It appears that if one has kids of the age that are portrayed in this show, one has a completely different take on the hilarity of the situations. My wife and I find it the most realistic "documentary" Cool of what happens when the kids "leave". Only wish it were available in the US.

Didn't this have Martin Clunes in it?

Ah yes, it did.

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 12 2009, 10:02 PM BST

Did anybody else like this 1980s show which at one time featured a young Martin Clunes?

Quote: Robert D @ August 31 2009, 4:12 AM BST

Didn't this have Martin Clunes in it?

Ah yes, it did.

I remember it as being quite lame. I was really surprised when Clunes developed into such a good character actor.

I've just read that Michael Sharvell-Martin (cherry drinking neighbour Trevor Botting) died in October. I have particularly loved seeing him in panto in Windsor over the past couple of years. Very sad. :( RIP.

It had William Gaunt in, who I quite like. I don't think it was any worse than of lot of eighties sitcoms.

This was one of the better awful-old-farcical-twee-middle-class-sitcoms of the '80s. William Gaunt was very good in it though and should have done more TV comedy after it...

One of quite a number of 'Family Sitcoms' that ranged from rubbish to dire. Was there ever a good famcom, come to think of it, which I can't at the moment. Hmm, quite liked Home To Roost in little doses, mainly because I liked the two actors in it, I don't think it was hilarious though or especially good otherwise. Did happily watch this though, so maybe that's one that wasn't totally crap. Oh no, sorry Butterflies I do rate fairly high, though its comedy tag does confuse many I know. There's two, any more? Oh I haven't yet seen Bless This House but understand this was good, I'll pencil that in as three. Any more?

Steptoe and Son, 2.4, Married with Kids, it's a genre innit. Some good some bad as in any genre.

Yeah yeah it's a Johnrer, it is that, defo, all its own. I've tried asking Aaron to reclassify everything to the last minutiae like a REAL anorak but he no rissen. Wave

I used to watch this back in the days of 3 channels & watching whatever the folks do.
It was one of those archetypal cosy family comedies that used to be the norm.
I just have a picture in my head now of the Dad chasing the youngsters round & round the sofa as the final credits rolled.

:D

But you have to remember, being chased round and round the sofa by Dad (whilst Mum held up cards with handwritten credits written on them) was quite a commonplace family activity in the 1980s - We didn't have the internet, PS3s or dishwashers to play with in those days, so we made our own entertainment. It was a more innocent time - which of us knew that in the 1990s the sitcom landscape would be seismically altered and the whole way we thought about comedy changed forever by Eddie Izzard's Cows?

*shudder*

Apologies. I realise that even mentioning the name of that sitcom can still send a chill through the hearts of otherwise strong men.