The Denis Leary Bill Hicks debate Page 2

According to a biography I read Hicks himself believed Leary had ripped off his act. That said, I do quite like leary, and that fireman show he's in isn't too bad.

I doubt many acts intentionally rip off others, very heavily influenced would be a better description I suppose.

Of course Hicks didn't really have some sort of amazingly unique style either.

I know he dropped down a bit but he should have been kicked out of that top 100 list altogether. The man has zero credibility as a standup.

I wonder if he'll ever admit to it? It seemed blatant to me when it was first shown on TV. I do think Leary did more justice to the material, he was a much slicker performer, but to steal it and use it almost word for word, and the whole smoking persona thing, and from a mate! That takes some front.

I'm amazed he still hasn't had his arse sued off him, I mean he's got a few bob now and what got him noticed was that stolen act. Shocking.

If we're comparing shouty American comedians - George Carlin was better than Leary too.

Quote: The Rook @ May 7 2009, 1:29 AM BST

What's to debate, they were just as shite as each other!

Yep.

I didn't even know who Hicks was before I read this thread, but after watching the video linked above he is only slightly less annoying than Leary, who I just want to slap.

also, I thought that part 1 of that video as pretty unconvincing.

I always thought that the evidence against Carlos Mencia stealing jokes was pretty well documented on YouTube. Man, comics hate that guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M42BflUZry8

Pretty sure Bill, on knowing about his pancreatic cancer was quoted as saying something along the lines of, let's see Leary copy that.
I like some of Dennis Leary's stand up but goat boy will always take it for me. He was and still is my inspiration for even attempting stand up.

Quote: deckard @ April 18 2010, 12:06 AM BST

Yep.

I didn't even know who Hicks was before I read this thread,

So, another example of Hicks in no way being appreciated in his own country?? :D

I'm surprised though that anyone interested in comedy wouldn't at least know who Hicks is, regardless of what they thought of his act.

I'm a big Hicks fan, and I know Hicks was convinced Leary stole his act, but based on the YouTube evidence alone I've never been completely convinced. However, they were big mates, so I think it's unlikely it was all just a coincidence.
Someone who works with me is American, she loves Seinfeld and Frasier and is really clued up on comedy. However, she has no idea who Bill Hicks is. It's both incredible yet extremely sad how this brilliant comedian who made satire up there with the best of them is entirely unknown in his homeland. Yes, it was preachy, but that's because he actually cared, and you know what? He was right on the "money" most of the time too. I wish there was someone around like him today, alas no.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 19 2010, 3:13 PM BST

So, another example of Hicks in no way being appreciated in his own country?? :D

I'm surprised though that anyone interested in comedy wouldn't at least know who Hicks is, regardless of what they thought of his act.

Perhaps the fact that he didn;t do film or television has something to do with that. I am aware of Carlin (mainly from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) and Eddie Murphy and Dennis Leary from their film and television work--not their stand-up.

He is also about a decade before my time. I came of age listening to Sandler albums.

Quote: deckard @ April 21 2010, 9:23 PM BST

He is also about a decade before my time. I came of age listening to Sandler albums.

I think he must be more visable over here perhaps, because I got into him long after he died. He made a big impression over here.

I remember him doing interviews on shows here like The Big Breakfast and Jonathan Ross, he was very popular with our comedy elite of the time. I remember one in which he looked totally flat, hardly said a funny thing, and I immediately thought of the classically sad, depressed private life of the comic genius, a'la Syd Field and Tommy Cooper. But I suppose he was carrying quite a burden at the time. A great comedian who I think the Brits really recognised and valued.

Dennis Leary isn't first SOB to steal some hot circuit act and rake it in. I also think he's good in Rescue Me and is an accomplished actor. Acting to pretend to be an angry stand-up was also something he was good at.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 21 2010, 9:30 PM BST

I got into him long after he died.

*snigger*

Quote: chipolata @ May 8 2009, 1:12 PM GMT

According to a biography I read Hicks himself believed Leary had ripped off his act.

Bill was also quoted as saying: "I have a scoop for you. I stole his act. I camouflaged it with punchlines, and to really throw people off, I did it before he did."

I think at the time club comedians did rip each other off... pretty stupid to do it on camera though...