The Denis Leary Bill Hicks debate

Did Leary ripp off Hicks, or did they just have the same style?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INarE1WraFA&feature=related

Youtube has the answer as always - although the audio is a bit rubbish here.

I think it's fairly well accepted that Leary stole a whole routine of Bill's about smoking/ Jim Fixx.

Also that with Hicks you felt it came from the heart but with Leary it's more a persona for the stage,  which many comedians do of course but I prefer the former.

Can you tell I'm a Hicks fan?

Jx

Yeah, but surely ANYBODY with a brain cell can make the ironic connection of Jim Fixx dying whilst jogging, when he taught the virtues of it??

Yep that's the same with many comic connections but to rip off a whole routine isn't quite the same as having a similar idea.

I admit I'm biased though.

Jx

What's to debate, they were just as shite as each other!

I am also a big Hicks fan and think that Leary did steal the routine.

Quote: Seefacts @ May 6 2009, 8:26 PM BST

Yeah, but surely ANYBODY with a brain cell can make the ironic connection of Jim Fixx dying whilst jogging, when he taught the virtues of it??

Good point but Hicks and Leary were friends, so surely he would have been aware that Hicks was already doing that bit.

I saw it on something recently and they showed the two routines. Leary's was nearly word-for-word the same as Hicks'.

I don't care - I prefer Leary. I licked Hicks....but always found him a bit to "preachy" for me. Leary is there for the laugh....if it want philosophy I'll read a book (or whatever one does to find philosophy!)

Quote: Tiggs @ May 7 2009, 1:18 PM BST

I don't care - I prefer Leary. I licked Hicks....but always found him a bit to "preachy" for me. Leary is there for the laugh....if it want philosophy I'll read a book (or whatever one does to find philosophy!)

You licked him...?

Do we have to choose between them? I always thought that Leary had the better delivery but Hicks had superior material. They are (were) brilliant comics and both made me laugh as much as each other.

Hicks - the whole crucifix / JFK rifle bit makes me Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Leary - his packet of 'Death' cigarettes actually becoming a reality Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I love them both Hug <3

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 7 2009, 7:44 PM BST

Do we have to choose between them? I always thought that Leary had the better delivery but Hicks had superior material. They are (were) brilliant comics and both made me laugh as much as each other.

Hicks - the whole crucifix / JFK rifle bit makes me Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Leary - his packet of 'Death' cigarettes actually becoming a reality Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I love them both Hug <3

Yay, RC's back. Where have you been?

Jx

Does Leary still smoke?

By the way, the Leary fans on here might be interested in a little-known film he did, back in '93/'94, called Who's the Man? He's really funny in it.

Denis Leary is an amazing dramatic actor too.

Quote: Jane P @ May 7 2009, 8:03 PM BST

Yay, RC's back. Where have you been?

Jx

Aw shucks. :$ Thanks for noticing I've been away. My computer was hit by a virus over the weekend and I've had the unique joy of re-installing everything. That's the last time I open an email marked 'Make your penis bigger'.

Actually, if I wanted to make my man junk larger, I'd need planning permission from the council - Ey? Ey? - Know what I mean darling? My mother in law is so Pakistani, etc.

Now that I'm worm free, expect my usual amount of drivel to return to normal on this forum.

Wave

On the 'No cure for Cancer' IMDB page Bill Hicks was listed as 'writer uncredited'. Seems to have been taken down now, but I thought that was quite funny!