Stand up Comedy. Page 31

Well, as log as you don't go down the pun route.
can't stand puns. grrr Angry see? that's how much I dislike them.
I even put up an emoticon.

Going to see a bunch of people tonight, including Idiots Of Ants and Dan Clark. Can't wait!

Quote: deian @ November 18 2009, 12:46 PM GMT

Well, as log as you don't go down the pun route.
can't stand puns. grrr Angry see? that's how much I dislike them.
I even put up an emoticon.

I remember you being a pun hater from the old days on the C**t**e forums.

I put a load of them up here, https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/15654 , so feel free to judge for yourself.

:)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 18 2009, 1:06 PM GMT

Going to see a bunch of people tonight, including Idiots Of Ants and Dan Clark. Can't wait!

Let us know about Dan Clark - it'll be interesting to see if his comedy person is the same as Don on HNTLYL.

Any kind of comedy is ok as long as it's done well. Even a pun. Or a shaggy dog story. It seems odd that the majority of the successful comedians at the moment seem to tell anecdotes/observational comedy.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ November 18 2009, 2:11 PM GMT

Any kind of comedy is ok as long as it's done well. Even a pun. Or a shaggy dog story. It seems odd that the majority of the successful comedians at the moment seem to tell anecdotes/observational comedy.

Like everything, comedy is subject to trends and fashions, for a while everything went uber-dark, then there followed a period of whimsy and surrealism.

It goes around in cycles, but if you are willing to look beyond the usual "stars" and the "bright new things" you'll find that there's something for everyone on the circuit. If you like joke tellers then there's plenty out there, Tim Vine, Milton Jones, Stu Francis, Gary Delaney, Paul Kerensa, Anthony King and many, many more.

You're right - I was thinking of the MM Roadshows, but outside of that narrow arena there's more diversity. I haven't seen any character comedians on the circuit recently though. A lot of comedy singers.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ November 18 2009, 3:10 PM GMT

You're right - I was thinking of the MM Roadshows, but outside of that narrow arena there's more diversity. I haven't seen any character comedians on the circuit recently though. A lot of comedy singers.

Character comedians on the circuit to look out for; Brian Gittens, Lee Nelson, Angelos Epithemiou (who's now on "Shooting Stars"), Sol Bernstein, Tatiana Ostrakova (Jo Selby), Ivan Brackenbury (Hospital Radio DJ character), Gary Tank Commander (Greg McHugh, just got a BBC Scotland TV series), Count Arthur Strong...erm, that's about it off the top of my head.

Oops forgot the fantastic Ronnie Rigsby (Logan Murray's brilliant failed TV entertainer character).

Another character act to look out for is Apocalypso! Whistling nnocently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_L5z6Y0f0

Angelic

Quote: Chopz @ November 18 2009, 4:06 PM GMT

Another character act to look out for is Apocalypso! Whistling nnocently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_L5z6Y0f0

Angelic

Excellent stuff there, Chopz! Always look forward to your work and again, I haven't been disappointed.

:D

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 18 2009, 1:21 PM GMT

I remember you being a pun hater from the old days on the C**t**e forums.

I put a load of them up here, https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/15654 , so feel free to judge for yourself.

ah yes, the good old days of the C board.
not the same these days eh?
How's the gigging going? from what I've heard its going well for ya.

Quote: deian @ November 18 2009, 8:49 PM GMT

ah yes, the good old days of the C board.
not the same these days eh?
How's the gigging going? from what I've heard its going well for ya.

Not too bad thanks, been full-time (i.e. very poor) for 18 months now and just about feel like I'm getting somewhere but it's a hard slog as I'm not young or pretty enough to be fast-tracked by getting on telly.

Am now living near Swindon so I'm just up the road from you (presuming you're still near Bristol?), you still gigging?

Quote: Stan Doubt @ November 18 2009, 2:11 PM GMT

Let us know about Dan Clark - it'll be interesting to see if his comedy person is the same as Don on HNTLYL.

It wasn't much like Don, more relaxed and normal. He was only on for a little bit at the start, doing new stuff.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 19 2009, 10:22 AM GMT

Not too bad thanks, been full-time (i.e. very poor) for 18 months now.

How many gigs do you do a week?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 19 2009, 1:00 PM GMT

It wasn't much like Don, more relaxed and normal. He was only on for a little bit at the start, doing new stuff.

Cool, ta!

Quote: Stan Doubt @ November 19 2009, 2:25 PM GMT

How many gigs do you do a week?

Generally about 3-4 per week but ideally I'd like to do 5 or 6 (which is what I was doing at my busiest and when I was living in London).

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 18 2009, 4:03 PM GMT

Character comedians on the circuit to look out for; Brian Gittens,

Saw him last night, very good I thought; the end bit was painfully funny.