eBay Page 7

I bought the caddy version to check the SATA drive from my old PC and managed to salvage a few flight simulator files but in hindsight it wasn't worth the 20 odd quid I spent on it. There was a hard drive that had been removed from the case and left in the garage for 15+ years that I was hoping I could explore but it was unreadable. Not surprising after being left on a shelf for that long. I was going to buy the cable version but didn't want to power it from my PC so went for the caddy which is mains powered.

Did anyone here start selling on eBay and grow to their own website/marketplace? I have such an idea and it would be great to find out other people's experiences.

Quote: nitros @ 25th February 2024, 7:47 PM

Did anyone here start selling on eBay and grow to their own website/marketplace? I have such an idea and it would be great to find out other people's experiences.

I've heard Michael Monkhouse is known to trade in a bit of the old carrion import/export and assorted objet d'art so he's your best bet. Tell him Harry The Bastard sent you.

Quote: nitros @ 25th February 2024, 7:47 PM

I started selling on eBay, but I didn't grow into being a store/marketplace. As at first, and we're talking early to mid 1990 here.
At first it was great as one item vhs to DVD copy machine that would copy any rental tapes and would copy either way vhs>DVD and DVD>vhs originally paid $160 brand new and it got into a bidding war and ended up selling for $320. That was the best one for me, but soon after that, by the time eBay got done with all their costs and fees, I wasn't even getting about 1/2 of whatever the item sold for take home cost. eBay got so greedy, last thing I had was a portable water osmosis filtration system that would hook up to any kind of faucet, it was like 3 filters, and packaged into like a tackle box for portability as I used to drive a semi for a living. I originally paid over 500 for this thing, used it twice. Sold it for 325 (if I remember right, or in that neighborhood) and after eBay dipping their hands into my money, I ended up with like 225 for it. That was it for me as I had other smaller ticket items that I feel eBay really ripped me off on. And no, I never opted in to push my merch to the front for extra fees and always made it buyer pays shipping, and didn't inflate the shipping costs either. I still go there and look and used to buy, but they come up with a deal where if you send your best offer for an item, you gotta give them a credit card or bank account to charge with and if the buyer accepts your offer they just automatically charge you for it and don't send the buyer any notice that it's been done. I did that one time and didn't like being left out of the loop as I was planning on paying for the item I won with a different payment, so I dunno, be forwarned that I think due to Amazon, Walmart and all the other big sellers going online, eBay is dying out. To bad, Mr.Musk.