Live! Girls! Present Dogtown Page 3

Quote: Donnomc @ October 4, 2006, 3:57 PM

I did a search & apparently Sir Paul McCartney wrote on one of their posters.

"Go and see these girls .. they're dead funny"

I take it all back. Macca liked it (and he did the Frog Song and married Heather Mills, so he obviously has a great sense of humour) and I did a search and apparently the well known critic, AJ Sexington, wrote on one of their posters.

"Watch Dogtown...I didn't think it was possible to be funnier than My Family and My Hero but this show manages it!"

Quote: Wheeler @ October 7, 2006, 10:03 AM

"Watch Dogtown...I didn't think it was possible to be funnier than My Family and My Hero but this show manages it!"

Ha ha, is that a real quote? If it is, it's gold dust, if not, your a comedy genius!

I made it up. AJ Sexington is a product of my twisted imagination.

Quote: Bellsa @ October 1, 2006, 10:02 PM

People (critics) have already been comparing Dogtown to Little Britain and The League of Gentlemen. Why is this?

Erm...because it's a complete rip off of The League of Gentlemen.

Is okay but I cannot stand that Geography teacher charcter. The woman cannot make a good man.

I found the show completely irritating.

It's fair to say that they don't make convincing men.

Just watching the LoG on BBC 4
Not to impressed with their "Men as Women"

BUT THEN it's character comedy & they are not supposed to be totally realistic!

When all is said and done, the programmes differ in that LoG is funny and Dogtown is shite.

That wasn't very nice Frances Spencer, how would you like it if someone called you a THICK IDOT in capital letters. Although I was wondering surely one of these words is surplus to requirements.

Example: "I think your taste in comedy is SHIT!"

Not: "I think your taste in comedy is POO SHIT"

You see where you went wrong?

Stop slagging off the wonderful Dogtown, you intelligent IDIOT!!!

No, it doesn't really work, does it?

I think I speak for the silent majority when I say

I really enjoyed the first episode and thought it got even better in the second. The comedy is subtle (Carol's mannerisms alone are funnier than the last ten stand ups I've seen) and wordy rather than based on lazy gags.

I don't understand why bbc3 would be so quick to undermine a comedy series (especially one of this originality) that they themselves have commissioned. Is there some sort of power struggle at work or just inexperience? Whatever the reason it reflects worse on bbc3 than on the Live! Girls!

Quote: Mike88 @ October 11, 2006, 1:02 PM

Is okay but I cannot stand that Geography teacher charcter. The woman cannot make a good man.

Terry Jones has got to be one of the funniest comedy "women" ever...he was always playing women and never once would be mistaken for one. I think Emma Kilcoyne's performance of Bill Taddler (his gestures and the way he interacts with other characters) was entirely convincing. And part of the humour lay in him being shorter than his wife, boss, colleagues.

I started watching it a few nights ago, and didn't make it more than 10-minutes or so in. Painful.