BBC Commission Semi-Improvised Sitcom

Semi-Improvised Sitcom - https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000171

Thems stole my idea! Grrr! Lol.

Improvisation with kids, yeah... o.k...?

I'm sure it'll be funny the first time you see something "spontaneous" happen. But it'll be about as funny as It'll be alright on the night, after about 5 minutes.

But what about something like "Curb"? That is completely improvised and that works as a show?

I've got nothing against improvisation, it's the kids that bother me.

Oh I see. I suppose Hamilton and Jenkin seem to be relaying on some sort of "Kids say the Funniest Things" conscept (without Michael Barrymore of course).

Sorry - I missed this. What's it about?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000171

Naughty Leevil, not posting the link!

Looks like it could be very interesting. Good characters, good writers. Although looking at the bloke who commissioned it I don't think much of his other "comedies".

"The commission appears to reflect Fincham's own plans to increase comedy output on BBC One. Recently he has re-commissioned After You've Gone for a second series of eight episodes and a Christmas special. He has also re-commissioned Jam and Jerusalem and Not Going Out".

Anyone who wants the world to see more of jam & Jerusalem should be shotdrowned.

Godot, a highly admirable first post!

Welcome! :)

Godot, fair play to yer.

as for this show, i remember an american sitcom called "on the spot" which was basically a bog standard sitcom with games from "Whose line is it anyway?" thrown in. It worked really well. the only problem was that nobody in america cared and it only ran for 5 episodes. this show, however, appears to be different and i'm not sure about the kids. something tells me this isn't going to work. :(

Jeff, the main reason why I kept watching coupling, not in a gay way, no we prefer to use the word Homer Sexual. ;)

Jeff (sorry, it not Geoff)was difinitely the best character. Series 4 wasn't the same without him.

Quote: Aaron @ April 14, 2007, 7:46 AM

Godot, a highly admirable first post!

Welcome! :)

Thanks a lot. It's a good idea to bookmark a site and a thread when you first join. Took me a while to find this place again.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 14, 2007, 1:11 AM

Anyone who wants the world to see more of jam & Jerusalem should be shotdrowned.

Crap. Though not strictly speaking a sitcom. Jennifer Saunders is really milking her t1ts out to be funny these days. Hasn't really been funny for years. Jam and Jerusalem seemed to me to be a vastly inferior Dinnerladies. And it has Dawn French in it. The opportunity to destroy them all in one 'moment of madness' is *so* tempting.

After You've Gone was poor, trying to be a pithy commentary on modern life whilst also trying (in vain) to be funny. Imrie is a good performer, and to some extent so is Nick Lyndhurst, although this is a poor vehicle. Personally I think he should try another character. Kris Marshall from My Family had the right idea, moving out before he became Nick forever, and doing something completely removed from Nick.

Not seen Not Going Out but heard good reports.

I think the idea of a semi-improvised sitcom is a bad idea, simply because they are trying to ape Curb is poor. They don't have th talent or the vision Larry david and co have, few people do. And look at the shows they have tried to remake from America. And visa versa.

What I do note from all this is that most of these shows, regardless of quality or ratings are from known writers, people with a track record. It depresses me to some extent that there are not more 'new' writers coming up, although with BBC3 and 4 now doing more this is changing.

I'm kind of cautious about damning things too soon. When Two Pints first came out it was awful, really poor, and I was one of the riotious mob who berated it. I'm glad to say I was wrong. It actually became rather good, one of the best of its' kind.

So I am careful not to dismiss things before I have given them a fair chance. French and Saunders have been working in comedy for thirty years.

Interesting thread, especially the edits that Leevil made to make earman and Aaron look stupid Laughing out loud