In Praise of Kenny Everett Page 2

Yikes...years and years ago, I rented out a room in my flat to an ex-Hot Gossip dancer, Lyndsey Ward...I knew members of her family who assured me she was absolutely adorable.

Total cow (I don't use that word lightly) and had to throw her out three months later!

Kenny Everett is - was - fab.

Most memorable bits: Captain Kremmen (mainly Carla - the animated one - was such a mesmerizing babe to a seven-year-old boy), Michael Aspel getting green goop poured on him, Hot Gossip seeming almost other worldly, Cliff Richard being brought out to do Living Doll and get the piss taken out of him, long before The Young Ones did so, and Sid Snot. And a final episode where 'Lord Thames' picked up Kenny Everett, put him in a shoebox, placed it on a comedy shelf and then took down a 'Tommy Cooper' shoebox (as the next show to fill the timeslot).

I loved his show when I was little; have to say I felt a little dissapointed watching re-runs on Paramount last year.

Legend of course.

Mind you his stuff hasn't stood te test of time - it looks extraordinarily dated now.

But yeah - adored him as a kid

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 1 2009, 3:50 PM BST

Mind you his stuff hasn't stood te test of time - it looks extraordinarily dated now.

Liar.

Quote: Aaron @ April 1 2009, 5:08 PM BST

Liar.

Aw come on... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FJDAep-WDg

Oh I'm not watching 9 minutes of anything on YouTube. IMO, beyond the inevitable (picture quality), it's not dated badly at all.

Quote: Aaron @ April 2 2009, 12:12 AM BST

Oh I'm not watching 9 minutes of anything on YouTube. IMO, beyond the inevitable (picture quality), it's not dated badly at all.

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty revolutionary for the time but it was full of scantily-clad dance troupes and bouncing tits and eighties pop culture references - all fine in my book but the divide between 2 decades never looked bigger to me.

Plus dare I say it - most of the sketches and characters seem weak to me now. The show was totally saved by Cuddly Ken - anyone else delivering the ropey material would've sunk it. IMO anyways.

:)

Well I agree it's clearly from a different time period. But I don't agree that the characters, sketches, gags, are weak. Although I only saw any of his shows for the first time last year, so perhaps it was even better and I'd have loved it even more at the time.

I was watching a few re runs a while back and found them just as funny as I ever did.