Best Stand Up Page 2

Quote: Magnus D @ March 22 2009, 11:51 PM GMT

As far as the worst I've seen goes, I'd probably say David Baddiel. I have two of his shows, and it wasn't that his stuff was bad as such, it was just that all of his material was recycled from The Mary Whitehouse Experience and Newman and Baddiel in Pieces.

From what I've seen of his stand up (admittedly a few years old, and on DVD) it was excellent. And nothing to do with Mary Whitehouse, etc.

Stewart Lee and Jerry Sadowitz.

Quote: Magnus D @ March 22 2009, 11:51 PM GMT

As far as the worst I've seen goes, I'd probably say David Baddiel. I have two of his shows, and it wasn't that his stuff was bad as such, it was just that all of his material was recycled from The Mary Whitehouse Experience and Newman and Baddiel in Pieces.

I used to think Skinner always carried Baddiel on their shows and he is the better comedian, but I forgive it all for this bit of stand up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCASLzsOG70

I've never really liked Lenny Henry although I once saw him do a sort of autobiographical show where he talked through his childhood years which was pretty good.

I hate the standard ethnic minority opener that any black or asian comedian now does.

They come on and spend five minutes speaking in a strong Jamacian or Iranian accent and then switch to their normal english accent. Sort of Jim Davidson in reverse.

Stephen K Amos and Omid Dhajili are the worst offenders.

The best stand-up comedians I remember seeing include Ross Noble, Daniel Kitson and Dara O'Briain.

Quote: Tom G @ March 23 2009, 7:33 PM GMT

Sort of Jim Davidson in reverse.

Laughing out loud

(Definitely on the Amos there.)

Quote: Tom G @ March 23 2009, 7:33 PM GMT

I hate the standard ethnic minority opener that any black or asian comedian now does.

They come on and spend five minutes speaking in a strong Jamacian or Iranian accent and then switch to their normal english accent. Sort of Jim Davidson in reverse.

Stephen K Amos and Omid Dhajili are the worst offenders.

Agreed.

Jimmy Carr was great last night. The one-liners one after another are a bit hard to take, as there's no context so it's easy to miss one or two, but when he has a topic he's very, very funny indeed.

It's amazing how rude you can be, and get away with it, just by being extremely polite!

He's brilliant with the audience interaction though. Keeps asking for questions from the audience and spent about 45 minutes just doing that.

Recommended.

Dan

Has Omid Dhajili finally gone away yet? He's Iranian. I GET IT.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 24 2009, 11:00 AM GMT

Has Omid Dhajili finally gone away yet? He's Iranian. I GET IT.

No - his TV show is back on next month.

Seriously? Good grief...

What a difficult one, overall Sadowitz has always been nothing less than brilliant, Tim Vine always keeps me rocking but I think the gig I've enjoyed most in recent memory probably because it appeals to my own sense of humour is Milton Jones, I love his stupidity and surrealism. One complete letdown was Rich Hall, I don't know whether I caught him on a bad night or he's jusy not for me but his act was dour and totally humourless.

Ooo -- that reminded me. Tony Law was very odd -- that's *properly* surreal, if you ever see his act. Not fantastic, in my book, but may appeal to others if you like that kind of thing.

Dan

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 24 2009, 11:11 AM GMT

No - his TV show is back on next month.

Ah, good good.

Sean Lock is excellent live, although his act has changed quite a bit since I saw him.
I remember hearing that he was very highly regarded by other stand up comedians.

I used to like John Moloney as well, but I haven't seen him around for a good few years.

Oh yeah, where's he gone.