Comedy Duo Dead Weights Page 3

Btw I have Eric Morecambe's autograph.

Lucky you! I want that..

I once stood behind Little Ern in Lloyds Bank in Maidenhead :)

I didn't meet him though. My sister-in-law did at a charity cricket match when she wa s achild. He was very nice apparently and very funny. She also knocked over Tom Baker's pint at the same cricket match and he pretended to be annoyed - which must have been very scary for asmall child.

I didn't speak to Ern. Just stood behind him. You still couldn't seen the join even in 1998.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 12 2009, 10:41 AM GMT

I didn't speak to Ern. Just stood behind him. You still couldn't seen the join even in 1998.

Ah, bless.

The Two Ronnies. Barker was by far the better comedy talent than Corbett, even though they devetailed well together.

Some times a classical "straight man" seems completley unfunny. But what they're actually doing is an essential part of the act. By setting up gagsand giving a mirror for the main perfomer to work against it can massively amplify the funny. Ernie Wise was a genius and Eric Morecambe on his own would be nowhere near as funny.

I think a lot of modern comedy pairings don't have the maturity for one of them to accept being the straight man.

They were comedy giants and frankly Little Ron is the best raconteur/shaggy dog comedian in the world. He was the best thing on Ben Elton's sketch show.

If Eric Morecambe had died in 1968, or not even had that heart attack resulting in the change of writers, they might not have been as highly regarded. They were panned in the 1950s.

Maybe in 30 years time the latest Horne & Corden show will be the must-see Christmas TV event!

*shudders*

Quote: Afinkawan @ March 12 2009, 9:29 AM GMT

I have started an internet petition to get you hung, drawn and quartered.

:D

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 12 2009, 10:41 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

Dear Mr. Carpark, by stating that my beloved Little Ern was nowhere near as funny as Eric Morecambe, you have metaphorically pissed on the face of Jesus and wiped your arse with the Koran. I hereby declare a comedy Jihad against you.

All the best

Raging BSG Member

P.S. When asked to list my favourite top ten comedians, I put Ernie Wise at the top with David Baddiel second and Dudley Moore third. Except I don't.

Now where was I? Oh yes, the Daily Mail sickens me with its dogmatic, knee jerk reactions and its hypocritical demonising of...etc. :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ March 12 2009, 1:49 PM GMT

you have metaphorically pissed on the face of Jesus and wiped your arse with the Koran.

I hate it when that happens.

Dear Mr Carp Ark,

I don't think it is in question that Mr Morecambe got more laughs than Mr Wise (ergo could indeed be considered funnier), but I think what rankled (lovely word) was the idea that he might be swapped with a man off the street. Or a woman, in these enlightened times.

More power to your elbow,

M Minor Esq (pron. 'Felch')

Who was the star out of Fry and Laurie then?

Must say although Cook needed Dudley Moore I think it has to be said that Cook was the real genius in the double act.

Quote: Spagett @ March 12 2009, 2:55 PM GMT

Who was the star out of Fry and Laurie then?

Must say although Cook needed Dudley Moore I think it has to be said that Cook was the real genius in the double act.

I'd say F and L were equals really, both getting the laughs.

Yes, I agree that Cook was the real comic genius and Dudley was the genius performer.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 4:01 PM GMT

I'd say F and L were equals really, both getting the laughs.

Yes, I agree that Cook was the real comic genius and Dudley was the genius performer.

Neither of them were 'dead weight' though.